Jeff Keppinger’s first walk of the season won the game

May 17, 2013, 10:47 AM EST

Seattle Mariners v Chicago White Sox Getty Images

Heading into the eighth inning of last night’s White Sox-Angels game Jeff Keppinger had yet to draw a walk in 140 plate appearances this season.

Angels reliever Michael Kohn was struggling to throw strikes, walking Conor Gillaspie and Dayan Viciedo back-to-back to load the bases with two outs for Keppinger, who came into the game with a lower on-base percentage (.182) than batting average (.185).

Four pitches later Keppinger was standing on first base with his first walk of the season, which forced in the go-ahead run (which proved to the game-winning run). So, to recap: Keppinger went (nearly) 33 games and 140 plate appearances without a walk, all while hitting .185, and then walked on four pitches with the bases loaded in the eighth inning of a tie game.

And yet people try to predict baseball.

1. hushbrother - May 17, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Kohn not representing College of Charleston very well right there.

2. sportsfanjay - May 17, 2013 at 11:13 AM

As a White Sox fan I wish I had something witty to say. Given the season so far, I got nothin’.

3. mybrunoblog - May 17, 2013 at 12:06 PM

I don’t care much about Keppinger.
    I just think its cool that he uses the old school 1980s heavy bat in the on deck circle.

4. pdowdy83 - May 17, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Sounds like Keppinger was Ruben Amaro’s dream player to start the season.

5. insidefastball - May 17, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Hard to believe that this guy was one of the most sought after free agents this past off-season. I bet the Sox wish they hadn’t offered a multi-year deal now. Keppinger and Adam Dunn together in the same lineup just destroy an offense. I am sure some of their pitchers could hit for a higher average than these two.

6. jkaflagg - May 17, 2013 at 7:24 PM

If there is a way to blow a game, the Angel bullpen will find it…..they will probably address the problem by adding a few more guys off waivers and a slugger who strikes
    out a lot and hits into a lot of double plays…..

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5677)