Johnny Manziel threw out the first pitch at the Padres-Nats game in interesting fashion

May 17, 2013, 10:32 AM EDT

At least I think it was for last night’s game. May have been another night, but I didn’t notice it before. This via The Big Lead.

source:

They shoulda done this with Flutie back in 1985 or whenever.  Have him reenact his throw against Miami with a first-pitch from center field.

1. chacochicken - May 17, 2013 at 10:35 AM

I’m impressed with the behind the back catch. Nothing wrong with having some fun.

• icanspeel - May 17, 2013 at 10:38 AM

I agree. Takes a good receiver to pair with a good QB haha

2. goskinsvt - May 17, 2013 at 10:35 AM

I’m more impressed with the catch on the back-end.

• nolanwiffle - May 17, 2013 at 2:44 PM

He did sort of make that look easy, didn’t he?

3. cur68 - May 17, 2013 at 10:43 AM

What the fark is a Johhny Manziel and why should I pay more attention to him balking than the dude catching? Seriously, who is that catching? Dude’s slicker than goose poop.

• raysfan1 - May 17, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Johnny Manziel, AKA “Johnny Football,” won the Heisman Trophy last year as the quarterback for Texas A&M.

• cur68 - May 17, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Thanks Rays1. But…um…what’s a “football”, a “Heisman”, a “quarterback”, and a “Texas A&M”? That last…is it anything like “S&M” and, if so, what the fark is going on down there in Texas?

• raysfan1 - May 17, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Last I heard, Edmonton did have a CFL team, so I’d have thought you’d be familiar with what football is. The Heisman is kind of like the Hart Trophy in hockey. As for S&M in Texas, that’s possible but I currently live in Oklahoma–you’ll have to ask Stex about that.

• raysfan1 - May 17, 2013 at 10:55 AM

What’s the coefficient of friction of goose poop?

• cur68 - May 17, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Nearly as slick as plantain peel, goose poop rates an 8.5 on the “Slick o’ Metre” (metric). You should note that the “Slick O’ Metre’ measurement is known as a “Platano of Slick” (PoS). So that catch was >8.5POS. This measurement is inversely proportional to the Grit O’ Metre (also metric) which is measured in Ecksteins. Since a perfect 10 Grit is an Eckstein of Grit (EoG) and a perfect 10 of slick is a Platano of Slick (PoS) and they are directly inversed, the catch is therefore <1.5EoG.

Don't say I never taught you anything.

• raysfan1 - May 17, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Okay, that helps, thanks. I should have understood the connection between goose poop and PoS.

• jwbiii - May 17, 2013 at 12:44 PM

It’s not Nick Hundley or John Baker, San Diego’s catchers. He does sort of look like Andrew Cashner.

• icanspeel - May 17, 2013 at 1:26 PM

I am pretty sure it is Mark Kotsay doing the catching for Johnny Manziel

• jwbiii - May 17, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Also looks kind of like Kotsay

4. heyblueyoustink - May 17, 2013 at 10:52 AM

“Kinda cute, I guess, but I say that as a guy who has kinda checked out of college football in the past year or two so if Manziel is played out and tiresome to those of you who haven’t checked out, apologies.”

Soooo, yeah, there’s this whole Bryce Harper thing…….

5. yahmule - May 17, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Manziel is tons of fun to watch, but Teddy Bridgewater will be the better pro quarterback.

• Alex K - May 17, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Teddy is going to be a better college player this year.

• yahmule - May 17, 2013 at 1:22 PM

That’s very likely. He has everything you want in a quarterback, but it’s his accuracy that makes him truly special.

6. ezthinking - May 17, 2013 at 11:03 AM

The first pitch just jumped the shark.

7. eagles512 - May 17, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Runs like a chick

• okie1kanokie - May 17, 2013 at 12:05 PM

I’m sure you could out-do him…you being so much more athletic and all

8. pdidit09 - May 17, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Johnny “Football” Manziel. I watch a lot of college football, NFL fan though. I have to say I had never heard of Johnny Manziel, I knew that Texas A&M was going to the SEC, which most including I thought at the time would be a disaster. WRONG, the first time I saw him play was the game Alabama. This young man is EXCITING. He had not been mentioned as a Heisman candidate, and I could not understand that. I started drooling about the possibility of him becoming the next Dallas Cowboy Quarterback. If he has the same or better year, than last, he will definitely be the first pick in the draft. Hopefully the same scenario with Kansas City this year, when they did not need a quarterback. I guarantee you if Jerry Jones wants Manziel, he will get him, trade Tony and 1st round pick for the number one pick. Tony has to have a great season with the weapons afforded him this year and for the money he has been paid. If we don’t go to the playoffs this year, we will get Johnny “Football” Manziel.

• asimonetti88 - May 17, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Highly doubtful. Manziel does not have the prototypical size or pocket passing ability to be the first overall selection. That does not mean he won’t be successful in the NFL, but teams at the top of the draft tend to overvalue those two things.

• yahmule - May 17, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Jadeveon Clowney, Bridgewater, Marqise Lee and Bruce Matthews’ kid could all go ahead of Manziel.

9. mybrunoblog - May 17, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Let’s face it. Nobody cares about Manziel we just want to see his girlfriend.

• jm91rs - May 17, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Johnny football may have beat aj in football this year, but I’m pretty sure he’s not winning the contest for best looking girlfriend over aj. If you’ve been living under a rock for awhile, google Katherine Webb.

• nolanwiffle - May 17, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Is that her in the red slacks, snapping pictures from behind the catcher? She doesn’t appear to be too hard on the eyes.

10. Walk - May 17, 2013 at 4:09 PM

I watched that game and saw that pass, better to be lucky than good I thought at the time. Little bit after the game I changed that to better to be lucky and good.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3082)