Rich Harden’s rehab isn’t going so well

May 17, 2013, 11:55 PM EDT

rich harden a's injured

MLB.com Twins beat writer Rhett Bollinger spoke to Twins assistant GM Rob Antony, asking how Rich Harden’s rehab was going. Antony replied, “Slow. Not very well to be honest with you.”

The Twins signed Harden to a one-year Minor League contract in December, agreeing to pay him $1 million if he made it to the Majors. Harden, though, has been recovering from surgery on his right shoulder, but felt soreness while throwing a few weeks ago.

Harden hasn’t pitched at the Major League level since 2011 with the Athletics, when he posted a 5.12 ERA in 15 starts between July and September.

1. duckthefodgers - May 18, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Is anyone honestly surprised?

2. tfbuckfutter - May 18, 2013 at 12:02 AM

I can’t skateboard anymore.

Instead of constantly trying to skateboard, I accept the fact that skateboarding has passed me by at this stage of my life.

Now I enjoy a good book.

Perhaps Rich Harden should also take up reading.

• duckthefodgers - May 18, 2013 at 12:06 AM

The difference is I bet no one has offered you millions to skate.

• tfbuckfutter - May 18, 2013 at 12:12 AM

“The Twins signed Harden to a one-year Minor League contract in December, agreeing to pay him $1 million if he made it to the Majors.”

No one has offered Rich millions to pitch either.

In fact, I bet he and I earn the same amount of millions this year based on our respective hobbies.

• duckthefodgers - May 18, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Wasn’t talking about just this year, and sorry but hes made alot more this year pitching than you would have skating.

• karmacrazy - Jul 31, 2013 at 10:45 PM

I know the guy and he is an arrogant punk with the personality of a pencil. His wife is an amazing baker though. If he’s smart he will help her open up a bakery with the proceeds of the sale of his 2.7 million dollar mansion that he sold in Scottsdale earlier this year. She’s the one with the consistent talent. Ain’t Karma a Bear?

• Alex K - May 18, 2013 at 1:01 AM

But if someone offered you $1 million to skate I bet you would get back on your deck ASAP.

3. benning89 - May 18, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Born in Oakland & am a die-hard fan. Rich has was The Most shiny object that never panned out for the A’s. too bad, as he always seemed like he was just one rehab away.

“You can only sell The Dream once, Rich.”

4. coryfor3 - May 18, 2013 at 3:14 AM

I would argue that he hasn’t pitched “at the major league level” longer than that. Shoulder problems have ruined his career.

5. aceinthehole12 - May 18, 2013 at 4:26 AM

As an A’s fan I feel for the guy. I remember when he came up thinking he was going to be an absolute stud..shame he could never stay healthy.

6. tanzkommandant - May 18, 2013 at 5:12 AM

A pretty heroic story when you take into account all he went through. Molested repeatedly at an early age, unknown whether that played a part in his shoulder troubles, but then to overcome it all & do what he did says a lot.

7. cbear34 - May 18, 2013 at 1:14 PM

I had surgery on my knee after a basketball incident. Never the same again. :/

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate