May 17, 2013, 4:12 PM EDT
Reid Ryan’s tenure as president of the Astros began Friday, when Houston announced that the son of Hall of Fame pitcher Nolan Ryan would take over the role vacated by George Postolos … Ryan, previously the president and CEO of Ryan-Sanders Baseball, had been running the Triple-A Round Rock Express (Rangers) and Double-A Corpus Christi Hooks, both of which are owned by Nolan Ryan and Houston businessman Don Sanders, though the Astros also announced on Friday that they’ve reached an agreement to purchase the Corpus Christi club from Ryan-Sanders.
I think that last bit about the Astros buying one of Ryan’s minor league teams is most interesting. Makes one wonder if, once its affiliation with the Rangers has expired, the Astros will go back to being an Astros affiliate, as it was between 2005-10. Given the recent trend of big clubs moving their farm teams closer to home, this could be part of a larger effort of the Astros to try to grow the brand farther north. Meanwhile, the Rangers have done stuff like hold exhibition games in San Antonio.
So clearly we’re in for a Texas civil war soon.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 49
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 15
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)