May 17, 2013, 4:12 PM EDT
Reid Ryan’s tenure as president of the Astros began Friday, when Houston announced that the son of Hall of Fame pitcher Nolan Ryan would take over the role vacated by George Postolos … Ryan, previously the president and CEO of Ryan-Sanders Baseball, had been running the Triple-A Round Rock Express (Rangers) and Double-A Corpus Christi Hooks, both of which are owned by Nolan Ryan and Houston businessman Don Sanders, though the Astros also announced on Friday that they’ve reached an agreement to purchase the Corpus Christi club from Ryan-Sanders.
I think that last bit about the Astros buying one of Ryan’s minor league teams is most interesting. Makes one wonder if, once its affiliation with the Rangers has expired, the Astros will go back to being an Astros affiliate, as it was between 2005-10. Given the recent trend of big clubs moving their farm teams closer to home, this could be part of a larger effort of the Astros to try to grow the brand farther north. Meanwhile, the Rangers have done stuff like hold exhibition games in San Antonio.
So clearly we’re in for a Texas civil war soon.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)