May 17, 2013, 9:55 PM EDT
Recently, Padres third baseman Chase Headley said he won’t negotiate a contract extension with the team during the season. Headley is eligible for his fourth year of arbitration going into 2014, after which he would become eligible for free agency. Headley has, for a while, been one of the most bandied-about names in trade rumors, but Jon Heyman reports the Padres have no intention of moving their star.
Padres people see Headley as part of their future and believe the team has played well enough with the current crop that they aren’t eager to trade their star to obtain a prospect package.
“We can’t wait forever,” [Padres GM Josh] Byrnes said. “We have a group that’s trying to take it to the next level. And that’s what we’re hoping to do.”
Headley finished fifth in NL MVP voting last year with an. 855 OPS, 31 home runs, and a league-leading 115 RBI playing half his games in one of baseball’s most pitcher-friendly ballparks. He is off to a great start once again, carrying a .912 OPS into tonight’s game against the Nationals.
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 8
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 10
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 34
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (90)