May 17, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Sad. Shane has so many friends and teammates looking out for him, yet he is still spiraling into addiction. And he doesn’t seem to care about it. And because he makes good money, the fact that each hit costs hundreds of dollars doesn’t work as a deterrent for him like it would most people.
No, it’s not drugs. Who said anything about drugs? It’s high-end basketball shoes, as Mike Bernadino of the Pioneer Press reports. He talks to Victorino and Vance Worley, who are friends and fellow shoe addicts, about their addiction:
“He’s having a hard time getting a hold of this one pair that just came out the other day,” Worley said. “He’s like, ‘I know you got a guy.’ I’m like, ‘I’m not saying I don’t have a guy. What’s the importance of this shoe versus another one?’ He’s like, ‘I got to have these, man. My addiction’s getting so bad.’ “
I don’t know why people who don’t play a lot of basketball get into high-end basketball shoes, but if Worley and Victorino have to be addicted to something, I can think of way worse things.
*UPDATE: when I first posted this I had the quotes wrong, mistakenly reading it as Victorino quoting Worley, not the other way around. Fixed now. No matter, though, because they’re both sick twists with this stuff.
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 38
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 10
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)