May 17, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Sad. Shane has so many friends and teammates looking out for him, yet he is still spiraling into addiction. And he doesn’t seem to care about it. And because he makes good money, the fact that each hit costs hundreds of dollars doesn’t work as a deterrent for him like it would most people.
No, it’s not drugs. Who said anything about drugs? It’s high-end basketball shoes, as Mike Bernadino of the Pioneer Press reports. He talks to Victorino and Vance Worley, who are friends and fellow shoe addicts, about their addiction:
“He’s having a hard time getting a hold of this one pair that just came out the other day,” Worley said. “He’s like, ‘I know you got a guy.’ I’m like, ‘I’m not saying I don’t have a guy. What’s the importance of this shoe versus another one?’ He’s like, ‘I got to have these, man. My addiction’s getting so bad.’ “
I don’t know why people who don’t play a lot of basketball get into high-end basketball shoes, but if Worley and Victorino have to be addicted to something, I can think of way worse things.
*UPDATE: when I first posted this I had the quotes wrong, mistakenly reading it as Victorino quoting Worley, not the other way around. Fixed now. No matter, though, because they’re both sick twists with this stuff.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)