May 17, 2013, 9:00 AM EST
Sad. Shane has so many friends and teammates looking out for him, yet he is still spiraling into addiction. And he doesn’t seem to care about it. And because he makes good money, the fact that each hit costs hundreds of dollars doesn’t work as a deterrent for him like it would most people.
No, it’s not drugs. Who said anything about drugs? It’s high-end basketball shoes, as Mike Bernadino of the Pioneer Press reports. He talks to Victorino and Vance Worley, who are friends and fellow shoe addicts, about their addiction:
“He’s having a hard time getting a hold of this one pair that just came out the other day,” Worley said. “He’s like, ‘I know you got a guy.’ I’m like, ‘I’m not saying I don’t have a guy. What’s the importance of this shoe versus another one?’ He’s like, ‘I got to have these, man. My addiction’s getting so bad.’ “
I don’t know why people who don’t play a lot of basketball get into high-end basketball shoes, but if Worley and Victorino have to be addicted to something, I can think of way worse things.
*UPDATE: when I first posted this I had the quotes wrong, mistakenly reading it as Victorino quoting Worley, not the other way around. Fixed now. No matter, though, because they’re both sick twists with this stuff.
- UPDATE: The Braves and Padres are nearing a Justin Upton trade 31
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 63
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 10
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 28
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 35
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 88
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)