May 17, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Sad. Shane has so many friends and teammates looking out for him, yet he is still spiraling into addiction. And he doesn’t seem to care about it. And because he makes good money, the fact that each hit costs hundreds of dollars doesn’t work as a deterrent for him like it would most people.
No, it’s not drugs. Who said anything about drugs? It’s high-end basketball shoes, as Mike Bernadino of the Pioneer Press reports. He talks to Victorino and Vance Worley, who are friends and fellow shoe addicts, about their addiction:
“He’s having a hard time getting a hold of this one pair that just came out the other day,” Worley said. “He’s like, ‘I know you got a guy.’ I’m like, ‘I’m not saying I don’t have a guy. What’s the importance of this shoe versus another one?’ He’s like, ‘I got to have these, man. My addiction’s getting so bad.’ “
I don’t know why people who don’t play a lot of basketball get into high-end basketball shoes, but if Worley and Victorino have to be addicted to something, I can think of way worse things.
*UPDATE: when I first posted this I had the quotes wrong, mistakenly reading it as Victorino quoting Worley, not the other way around. Fixed now. No matter, though, because they’re both sick twists with this stuff.
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 186
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 88
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 30
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (195)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (91)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (84)