May 17, 2013, 12:51 PM EST
Fifteen years ago today David Wells threw a perfect game against the Twins at Yankee Stadium. And then just to add to the drama Wells claimed afterward that he was “half-drunk” for the day game after partying with the cast of Saturday Night Live the night before.
I was 15 years old at the time and my beloved Twins were in the midst of their sixth consecutive losing season, so after initially rooting for them to beat the mighty Yankees by the end of the game I recall actually rooting for Wells to make history.
MLB has made the entire MSG Network broadcast of the game available for free on YouTube, which is a helluva way to kill a Friday afternoon:
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 54
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 20
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 66
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 256
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (256)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (93)