May 17, 2013, 12:51 PM EST
Fifteen years ago today David Wells threw a perfect game against the Twins at Yankee Stadium. And then just to add to the drama Wells claimed afterward that he was “half-drunk” for the day game after partying with the cast of Saturday Night Live the night before.
I was 15 years old at the time and my beloved Twins were in the midst of their sixth consecutive losing season, so after initially rooting for them to beat the mighty Yankees by the end of the game I recall actually rooting for Wells to make history.
MLB has made the entire MSG Network broadcast of the game available for free on YouTube, which is a helluva way to kill a Friday afternoon:
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)