May 17, 2013, 12:51 PM EDT
Fifteen years ago today David Wells threw a perfect game against the Twins at Yankee Stadium. And then just to add to the drama Wells claimed afterward that he was “half-drunk” for the day game after partying with the cast of Saturday Night Live the night before.
I was 15 years old at the time and my beloved Twins were in the midst of their sixth consecutive losing season, so after initially rooting for them to beat the mighty Yankees by the end of the game I recall actually rooting for Wells to make history.
MLB has made the entire MSG Network broadcast of the game available for free on YouTube, which is a helluva way to kill a Friday afternoon:
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 7
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 155
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 4
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (158)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)