May 17, 2013, 12:51 PM EDT
Fifteen years ago today David Wells threw a perfect game against the Twins at Yankee Stadium. And then just to add to the drama Wells claimed afterward that he was “half-drunk” for the day game after partying with the cast of Saturday Night Live the night before.
I was 15 years old at the time and my beloved Twins were in the midst of their sixth consecutive losing season, so after initially rooting for them to beat the mighty Yankees by the end of the game I recall actually rooting for Wells to make history.
MLB has made the entire MSG Network broadcast of the game available for free on YouTube, which is a helluva way to kill a Friday afternoon:
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 105
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8