May 18, 2013, 4:39 PM EST
Chris Nelson is on the move again. After being designated for assignment by the Yankees earlier this week, Nelson has been claimed off waivers by the Angels.
Nelson began the season as the Rockies’ starting third baseman, but he batted .242/.282/.318 in 71 plate appearances before losing his job to Nolan Arenado and being traded to the Yankees. The 27-year-old hit .222 (8-for-36) in 10 games with New York. He’ll function as a utility infielder with the Angels.
The Angels designated outfielder Scott Cousins for assignment in a corresponding roster move. Best known for his collision with Buster Posey in 2011, the 28-year-old appeared in seven games with the Angels earlier this season and was hitting .229/.289/.277 over 91 plate appearances in Triple-A.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 73
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)