May 18, 2013, 6:15 PM EST
UPDATE: It looks like Eric O’Flaherty is facing the worst-case scenario, as David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that he was diagnosed with a torn ulnar collateral ligament in his left elbow. He’ll see Dr. James Andrews next week, but it would be a surprise if Tommy John surgery wasn’t the next step. The Braves’ bullpen suddenly looks quite vulnerable.
5:10 PM: The Braves’ bullpen took another hit this afternoon, as left-hander Eric O’Flaherty was placed on the disabled list with a strained left elbow. No word yet on the severity of the injury, but we should know more following an MRI.
As our own Drew Silva notes, O’Flaherty will join Jonny Venters, Jordan Walden, Luis Ayala and Cristhian Martinez on the disabled list. Venters is done for the season after Tommy John surgery while Walden was just placed on the disabled list yesterday. Meanwhile, David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that neither Ayala nor Martinez are close to returning. Craig Kimbrel better invest in some bubble wrap and/or body armor.
Like Venters, O’Flaherty has been a trusted workhorse for the Braves for a few years now, posting a 1.95 ERA in 295 appearances dating back to 2009. Only Brad Ziegler, Carlos Marmol, and Luke Gregerson have appeared in more games in the same timespan.
The Braves have called up right-hander Cory Rasmus to replace O’Flaherty on the active roster. Colby’s brother has a 3.67 ERA over parts of seven seasons in the minors, including a 0.93 ERA and 21/9 K/BB ratio over 19 1/3 innings with Triple-A Gwinnett this season.
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 43
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 94
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 121
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 36
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 68
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (122)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (108)