Cardinals place Jaime Garcia on the 15-day DL

May 18, 2013, 6:45 PM EDT

jaime garcia ap AP

Cardinals starter Jaime Garcia had two uncharacteristically bad starts against the Rockies and Brewers recently, surrendering five and six runs, respectively. Garcia dealt with shoulder issues last year and they may be to blame for his recent adversity as well. The Cardinals have placed him on the 15-day disabled list with a left shoulder strain, and he will see Dr. James Andrews for further input.

Mitchell Boggs has been recalled from Triple-A Memphis to take Garcia’s vacant roster spot, but the team will soon decide on a starter to take Garcia’s place. Garcia is the third Cardinals starter to be sidelined, joining Chris Carpenter (who may return in the second half out of the bullpen) and Jake Westbrook (who should begin a throwing program soon).

Garcia is concerned. Via MLB.com’s Jennifer Langosch:

“I would say at this point it’s worse,” Garcia said, when asked how the discomfort compared to what he dealt with last year. “There’s a lot more pain than last year. It started three starts ago. I was feeling great up until that point. I basically tried to take care of doing little things here and there and it went downhill getting worse and worse.”

An MRI taken on Garcia’s shoulder on Saturday came back inconclusive. He is scheduled to visit with Dr. James Andrews next week for another opinion. Because Garcia already tried the rehab route for this injury, the only option this time may be undergoing a procedure.

“I’m very concerned, especially with the way I felt last night and the way I feel today,” Garcia said of that possibility.

1. okwhitefalcon - May 18, 2013 at 6:59 PM

We all knew this was a ticking time bomb, not exactly a surprise.

Mo said he’s “not optimistic” in the pregame, mentioned Wacha and Tyler Lyons as possibilities if Garcia goes on the 60, didn’t seem to think Kelly was an option at this point which leaves Carlos Martinez as a viable rotation replacement moving ahead.

• paperlions - May 18, 2013 at 7:10 PM

I think Wacha is a lot closer to being ready as a starter than Martinez…I think the Cards still view him as a starter long term, just like Rosenthal, but I think both of them will stay in the pen right now.

I hate that they called Boggs back up. He has continued to suck in AAA.

• okwhitefalcon - May 18, 2013 at 9:46 PM

I wouldn’t be surprised if they gave Maness first shot at Garcia’s spot in the rotation.

He’s conditioned as a starter, throws strikes – and he’s already there.

All speculation on my part of course.

• paperlions - May 18, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Yeah, Maness would be a solid option…as far as fill-in options go. I doubt they do a trade at this point…it isn’t really a trade time of year right now…at least, not to get a useful player. They have plenty of options…it’ll be interesting if they try to do a tandem starter thing with a Maness/Wacha combo.

• okwhitefalcon - May 18, 2013 at 10:29 PM

A fill in option for sure, makes sense for now if they choose to go that way.

With Boggs being recalled to take Garcia’s roster spot somebody would have to go down to make room for Wacha, not sure who’d they’d ship out at this point.

• okwhitefalcon - May 19, 2013 at 1:12 PM

From Mo this morning on KMOX:

Tyler Lyon will be called up to take Garcia’s next start Wednesday in San Diego with a corresponding roster move (likely from the bullpen) to happen that day. No names were mentioned as to who’d be headed to Memphis so it’s safe to assume performance over the next 3 games will be a major factor on who gets demoted.

Mo also said that Wacha wasn’t called up due to him still adjusting to professional baseball physically (he’s less than year from being drafted) but they will re-evaluate that if Gast or Lyon can’t make the grade.

He also mentioned Carp as a possibility as a starter but they have no timetable or expectation moving ahead.

There was no mention of going outside the organization at this point but as usual, Mo’s “always open for business.”

2. okwhitefalcon - May 18, 2013 at 7:30 PM

I’m not sure what they’re going to do starter wise come Garcia’s next turn, Mo said something about deciding tonight or tomorrow.

Boggs seemed to be doing OK his first few times out in Memphis then started walking people again his last outing so I don’t exactly have high hopes of him being turned around – not yet at least.

They could do something with Salas to get Wacha or Lyons up but I suspect Boggs will be on an extremely short leash.

I wouldn’t be shocked if they made a move outside of the organization at his point, no idea who’d they’d possibly target though..

3. gibbyfan - May 18, 2013 at 7:41 PM

truly hope I’m flat out wrong, but I still say we will regret losing Lohse –not yet but I see it coming–the great young talent will take time to develop and we very likely be in a closely contested race –

• fearlessleader - May 18, 2013 at 7:52 PM

I think it’s still very possible that we’ll regret not having Lohse this year. But it wouldn’t have made sense for the Cards to commit big money to him beyond 2013, and he wasn’t going to take a one-year deal. The fireballer express from Memphis has been pretty impressive so far, and I’m dying to see what Wacha will be able to do when his time comes.

• gibbyfan - May 18, 2013 at 8:07 PM

That may possibly be the case and if so, I would not have favored a three year big $$ deal for Lohse but was rather hoping for maybe 2yr@ 10-11/yr.
        I really think Rodriguez would be a good bet to take the open spot and why not try out Wacha in the westbrook slot and see how it goes–would love to see him on the mound this week.

• okwhitefalcon - May 18, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Innings and fragility of those on the staff were my concern going into the season, I felt better about both last week – so much for that I suppose.

4. fearlessleader - May 18, 2013 at 7:48 PM

So apparently Jaime Garcia didn’t learn anything last year when he incurred the wrath of the organization, the fans, and his teammates by pitching through injury without telling anyone. Awesome.

• okwhitefalcon - May 18, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Nope to all the above, not to mention the (cough, cough alleged) locker room temper tantrums throughout his career.

Maybe something good will come of this, would love to see Carp make a Carp like comeback and fill the void – that would be a helluva story.

Lot’s of intrigue regardless, never a dull moment with the Cards.

5. stlouis1baseball - May 20, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Who didn’t see this coming?
    Hello Mr. Obvious…when you have 3…4 or TEN Doctors tell you surgery is the best option you might want to consider that. Jaime pisses me off. This was just a matter of time. Have the damn surgery. Otherwise, you are only hurting the team…and yourself.

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3303)