May 18, 2013, 6:45 PM EST
Cardinals starter Jaime Garcia had two uncharacteristically bad starts against the Rockies and Brewers recently, surrendering five and six runs, respectively. Garcia dealt with shoulder issues last year and they may be to blame for his recent adversity as well. The Cardinals have placed him on the 15-day disabled list with a left shoulder strain, and he will see Dr. James Andrews for further input.
Mitchell Boggs has been recalled from Triple-A Memphis to take Garcia’s vacant roster spot, but the team will soon decide on a starter to take Garcia’s place. Garcia is the third Cardinals starter to be sidelined, joining Chris Carpenter (who may return in the second half out of the bullpen) and Jake Westbrook (who should begin a throwing program soon).
Garcia is concerned. Via MLB.com’s Jennifer Langosch:
“I would say at this point it’s worse,” Garcia said, when asked how the discomfort compared to what he dealt with last year. “There’s a lot more pain than last year. It started three starts ago. I was feeling great up until that point. I basically tried to take care of doing little things here and there and it went downhill getting worse and worse.”
An MRI taken on Garcia’s shoulder on Saturday came back inconclusive. He is scheduled to visit with Dr. James Andrews next week for another opinion. Because Garcia already tried the rehab route for this injury, the only option this time may be undergoing a procedure.
“I’m very concerned, especially with the way I felt last night and the way I feel today,” Garcia said of that possibility.
Mar 2, 2015, 4:26 PM EST
Trammell and Whitaker in Detroit? Carter and Hernandez with the Mets?
Mar 2, 2015, 3:45 PM EST
Lester joined the Cubs on a six-year, $155 million deal in December.
Mar 2, 2015, 2:45 PM EST
Don’t. Praise. The. Machine.
Mar 2, 2015, 1:48 PM EST
Hart is attempting to resurrect his career on a one-year deal as a part-timer in Pittsburgh.
Mar 2, 2015, 1:27 PM EST
Shocking, I know.
Mar 2, 2015, 11:50 AM EST
GM says “they’re not going to play him for a little while.”
Mar 2, 2015, 11:33 AM EST
Howard Johnson is right!
Mar 2, 2015, 11:19 AM EST
Detroit owes him $28 million per season through 2019.
Mar 2, 2015, 11:09 AM EST
It happened to Wynton Bernard anyway.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:47 AM EST
Since shifting to the bullpen full time in 2011 the Minnesota native has a 2.74 ERA and 286/63 K/BB ratio in 256 innings.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:15 AM EST
Axford had a 3.92 ERA and 63/36 K/BB ratio in 55 innings for the Indians last season.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:03 AM EST
At least one columnist thinks this is a big problem. Is it?
Mar 2, 2015, 9:15 AM EST
Patrick Dubuque of The Hardball Times mounts an in-depth study of the Peanuts’ Gang’s manager.
Mar 2, 2015, 8:17 AM EST
The lives of a couple of “Moneyball” players serves as a jumping off point for a good Monday morning rant.
Mar 1, 2015, 10:25 PM EST
Though pitching prospect Carlos Rodon is taking over for Chris Sale, he likely isn’t pitching for an Opening Day role with the White Sox.
Mar 1, 2015, 9:20 PM EST
Yoenis Cespedes could see himself wearing a Tigers uniform for many years.
Mar 1, 2015, 8:15 PM EST
Bryce Harper wants to do more to help out on offense for the Nationals.
Mar 1, 2015, 7:10 PM EST
Yu Darvish was colorful in responding to critics who think he quit on the Rangers last year due to an elbow injury.
Mar 1, 2015, 6:05 PM EST
The Phillies kicked off the spring with a loss to a college team.
Mar 1, 2015, 3:24 PM EST
There’s been some talk that Angels right-hander Garrett Richards might be ready for the beginning of the 2015 regular season despite tearing the patellar tendon in his left knee last August. But manager Mike Scioscia put that to rest Sunday in camp …
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)