May 18, 2013, 11:25 PM EDT
Even at the age of 37 and less than a year separated from an Achilles injury, David Ortiz can still hit with the best of them. The slugger entered tonight’s game against the Twins with a .999 OPS, including five home runs and 23 RBI in 98 trips to the plate. Since joining the club on April 20 after a stint on the 15-day DL, Ortiz has been his team’s best and most consistent source of offense, which is saying a lot considering their options — Dustin Pedroia, for instance, has a .438 on-base percentage.
Ortiz hit two more home runs tonight: a three-run shot against Twins starter Scott Diamond in the first inning, and a two-run shot against reliever Anthony Swarzak in the seventh. He finished the night with three hits, a walk, and six RBI as the Red Sox won 12-5. Pedro Ciriaco was the only member of the lineup not to log a hit. At the time of Ortiz’s homer in the seventh, the Sox were clutching tightly their 7-5 lead, but were finally allowed to breathe a sigh of relief with the added insurance provided by the tenured slugger.
Recently in the news for the wrong reasons thanks to Dan Shaughnessy, you have to imagine his recent offensive tear — he went 3-for-5 yesterday — tastes extra sweet.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)