May 18, 2013, 5:40 PM EDT
This story is only tangentially linked to baseball, but it’s a slow Saturday afternoon, so what the heck. As you’ll see below, former pro wrestler Jake “The Snake” Roberts led the Turner Field crowd in “Take Me Out to the Ballgame” during last night’s game between the Dodgers and Braves.
Roberts (whose real name is Aurelian Smith, Jr.) doesn’t have the best singing voice, but that shouldn’t come as any surprise to those who watched him wrestle in the 80s and 90s.
The 57-year-old Roberts has had all sorts of issues with drug and alcohol addiction, but he has cleaned himself up recently with the help of another former pro wrestler, Diamond Dallas Page. These days, Roberts is doing things like tweeting pictures of his gluten-free cookie mix. 2013 is weird, man. But in all seriousness, it’s nice to hear that he is making an effort to turn his life around.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 0
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)