May 18, 2013, 5:40 PM EDT
This story is only tangentially linked to baseball, but it’s a slow Saturday afternoon, so what the heck. As you’ll see below, former pro wrestler Jake “The Snake” Roberts led the Turner Field crowd in “Take Me Out to the Ballgame” during last night’s game between the Dodgers and Braves.
Roberts (whose real name is Aurelian Smith, Jr.) doesn’t have the best singing voice, but that shouldn’t come as any surprise to those who watched him wrestle in the 80s and 90s.
The 57-year-old Roberts has had all sorts of issues with drug and alcohol addiction, but he has cleaned himself up recently with the help of another former pro wrestler, Diamond Dallas Page. These days, Roberts is doing things like tweeting pictures of his gluten-free cookie mix. 2013 is weird, man. But in all seriousness, it’s nice to hear that he is making an effort to turn his life around.
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 43
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 33
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 19
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (75)