May 18, 2013, 12:40 PM EDT
Garza didn’t throw a pitch after July 21 last season due to a stress reaction in his elbow and was forced to begin this season on the disabled list due to a strained lat. The 29-year-old right-hander posted a 1.17 ERA and 11/4 K/BB ratio in 15 1/3 innings over four rehab starts, including six scoreless innings with Triple-A Iowa on Thursday. Garza is due to become a free agent after the season, so he could become useful trade bait leading up to the July 31 deadline if he can prove healthy and effective.
In order to clear a spot for Garza in the rotation, Carlos Villaneuva will be moved to the bullpen. The 29-year-old right-hander has a solid 3.93 ERA and 36/14 K/BB ratio in 52 2/3 innings over eight starts this season, but Travis Wood and Scott Feldman have had better results and Edwin Jackson isn’t going anywhere after he joined the club on a four-year, $52 million contract this winter. Cubs manager Dale Sveum said Villanueva will be available for any relief situation, not just as a longman.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 51
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 71
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 67
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 107
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (107)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises (71)