May 18, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
The Yankees designated infielder Alberto Gonzalez for assignment this afternoon in order to make room for the newly-acquired Reid Brignac. Some thought that Ben Francisco‘s roster spot could be in jeopardy, as he’s hitting just .114 (5-for-44) in 21 games, but Yankees general manager Brian Cashman joked to reporters today that he’s keeping him around for a very important reason.
Cashman takes his trolling duties seriously. You have to respect that.
- Scott Kazmir cleared to return to A’s rotation Friday 0
- Bryce Harper continues to lead N.L All-Star voting; Buster Posey passes Yadier Molina 17
- Rob Manfred expects there to be spring training games in Cuba next year 12
- Stephen Strasburg has a left trapezius strain 17
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 104
- Rangers call up power-hitting top prospect Joey Gallo 12
- American League All-Star voting update: Royals players still rule the roost 36
- Jose Fernandez cleared for rehab assignment in comeback from Tommy John surgery 10
- Stan Hack didn’t hack and other inappropriate baseball names (163)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (150)
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (133)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (105)
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)