May 18, 2013, 2:45 PM EST
With Johnny Cueto slated to return from a lat strain on Monday, the Reds have optioned left-hander Tony Cingrani back to Triple-A Louisville. Neftali Solo has been called up to take his place on the active roster.
Cingrani was pretty impressive during his first stint in the majors, posting a 3.27 ERA and 41/9 K/BB ratio in 33 innings over seven starts. However, he allowed nine runs and five homers in 15 innings over his last three starts and had some minor shoulder soreness earlier this week.
Mike Leake, who owns a 3.72 ERA through nine starts this season, will keep his rotation spot for now. But he won’t have a long leash with Cingrani looming as an alternative at Triple-A.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (133)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)