May 18, 2013, 10:09 AM EDT
UPDATE: Mets general manager Sandy Alderson told Mike Puma of the New York Post this afternoon that there’s no deadline for a decision to be made on Davis’ status.
10:10 AM: Ike Davis finally broke his 0-for-24 hitless streak yesterday with a single to center field in the sixth inning, but he’s still at risk for being sent to the minors. In fact, Adam Rubin of ESPN New York hears that discussion of a demotion has “only intensified” and that he might not be given much more than this weekend to turn things around.
Davis is hitting just .160/.245/267 with four homers and 46 strikeouts through 147 plate appearances this season. Only Aaron Hicks and B.J. Upton have a lower batting average among qualified hitters. The 26-year-old first baseman also got off to a slow start last season, but the Mets stuck with him through his struggles and he hit .253 with 27 homers, 69 RBI and an .878 OPS after the start of June. However, he might not get such a long leash again.
According to Rubin, the front office appears to be more in favor of a demotion than manager Terry Collins, who lobbied to keep Davis in the majors last year. One possible hint that a move is coming is that Andrew Brown started at first base last night for Triple-A Las Vegas. The Mets would also have the option of moving Lucas Duda to first base, though they likely want him to continue to get regular work in left field.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)