May 18, 2013, 8:58 AM EDT
After tossing a one-hit shutout against the Angels in his last start on Sunday, Chris Sale got the best of them again last night.
Sale struck out a season-high 12 over 7 2/3 scoreless innings as the White Sox topped the Angels 3-0 at Angel Stadium. The 24-year-old southpaw gave up just three hits and walked three in the victory and extended his scoreless streak to 23 innings. That’s the best by a starter on the White Sox since Mark Buehrle (24 1/3 innings) in 2001.
C.J. Wilson, who has been outdueled by Sale in back-to-back starts, couldn’t help but marvel at the experience:
C.J. Wilson on Chris Sale besting him twice in a week: "I wish I threw 96, 3 feet across my body, but I'm just a regular-sized white guy."—
Pedro Moura (@PedroMoura) May 18, 2013
After finishing sixth in the American League Cy Young balloting last season in his first full year as a starting pitcher, Sale is making another strong push so far in 2013. Though nine starts, he’s 5-2 with a 2.53 ERA and 61/15 K/BB ratio in 64 innings.
The White Sox currently have a season-high four-game winning streak and sit 19-21 on the season, four games behind the Tigers and Indians in the American League Central.
Your Friday box scores:
Mariners 3, Indians 6 (10 innings)
Red Sox 3, Twins 2 (10 innings)
Nationals 6, Padres 5 (10 innings)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 45
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 64
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (98)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)