May 18, 2013, 8:58 AM EST
After tossing a one-hit shutout against the Angels in his last start on Sunday, Chris Sale got the best of them again last night.
Sale struck out a season-high 12 over 7 2/3 scoreless innings as the White Sox topped the Angels 3-0 at Angel Stadium. The 24-year-old southpaw gave up just three hits and walked three in the victory and extended his scoreless streak to 23 innings. That’s the best by a starter on the White Sox since Mark Buehrle (24 1/3 innings) in 2001.
C.J. Wilson, who has been outdueled by Sale in back-to-back starts, couldn’t help but marvel at the experience:
C.J. Wilson on Chris Sale besting him twice in a week: "I wish I threw 96, 3 feet across my body, but I'm just a regular-sized white guy."—
Pedro Moura (@PedroMoura) May 18, 2013
After finishing sixth in the American League Cy Young balloting last season in his first full year as a starting pitcher, Sale is making another strong push so far in 2013. Though nine starts, he’s 5-2 with a 2.53 ERA and 61/15 K/BB ratio in 64 innings.
The White Sox currently have a season-high four-game winning streak and sit 19-21 on the season, four games behind the Tigers and Indians in the American League Central.
Your Friday box scores:
Mariners 3, Indians 6 (10 innings)
Red Sox 3, Twins 2 (10 innings)
Nationals 6, Padres 5 (10 innings)
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 8
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 18
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (94)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (83)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (70)