Settling the Score: Friday’s results

May 18, 2013, 8:58 AM EDT

Chris Sale Getty Getty Images

After tossing a one-hit shutout against the Angels in his last start on Sunday, Chris Sale got the best of them again last night.

Sale struck out a season-high 12 over 7 2/3 scoreless innings as the White Sox topped the Angels 3-0 at Angel Stadium. The 24-year-old southpaw gave up just three hits and walked three in the victory and extended his scoreless streak to 23 innings. That’s the best by a starter on the White Sox since Mark Buehrle (24 1/3 innings) in 2001.

C.J. Wilson, who has been outdueled by Sale in back-to-back starts, couldn’t help but marvel at the experience:

After finishing sixth in the American League Cy Young balloting last season in his first full year as a starting pitcher, Sale is making another strong push so far in 2013. Though nine starts, he’s 5-2 with a 2.53 ERA and 61/15 K/BB ratio in 64 innings.

The White Sox currently have a season-high four-game winning streak and sit 19-21 on the season, four games behind the Tigers and Indians in the American League Central.

Your Friday box scores:

Mets 3, Cubs 2

Blue Jays 0, Yankees 5

Reds 3, Phillies 5

Mariners 3, Indians 6 (10 innings)

Diamondbacks 9, Marlins 2

Rays 12, Orioles 10

Dodgers 5, Braves 8

Tigers 2, Rangers 1

Brewers 6, Cardinals 7

Red Sox 3, Twins 2 (10 innings)

Astros 4, Pirates 5

Giants 9, Rockies 10

Royals 1, Athletics 2

Nationals 6, Padres 5 (10 innings)

1. janessa31888 - May 18, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Jason Kipnis strikes again!!! This time he hit a walk -off three run homer to send the 34000 fans home happy. I haven’t heard that roar in quite a while. Guess dollar dogs and post game fireworks are a good combination to get people in Progressive Field. Oh yeah, winning helps too :)

• Kevin Gillman - May 18, 2013 at 12:17 PM

I wished I was at that game last night. I loved hearing the fans cheer for every moment, and the Indians delivered them a win. Great game.

2. redguy12588 - May 18, 2013 at 9:17 AM

At least the Astros got to lead off sportscenter last night.

3. uyf1950 - May 18, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Have to say Kuroda has taken over the as the ace of the Yankees staff. And right now it’s not even close.

• proudlycanadian - May 18, 2013 at 9:39 AM

I hope you are right and that the Jays have a chance in the next 2 games. Kuroda was excellent last night.

• dirtyharry1971 - May 18, 2013 at 1:31 PM

the jays do have a chance, a chance at the worst record in the AL, so suck it up and enjoy it proudly

• bigharold - May 18, 2013 at 12:42 PM

“.. taken over the as the ace of the Yankees staff.”

Way too early for that kind of crazy talk. Hiroki Kuroda is off to his best start ever but I would go off anointing him ace of anything just yet. Sabathia historically is a slow starter. Come back to me around the ASB for an accurate assessment. My money is on Sabathia to still be the Big Dog at 161st and River.

4. proudlycanadian - May 18, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Congratulations to the Red Sox on their 3 game winning streak. (Did I really write that?). Buchholz got a no decision; however, he did manage to pitch himself out of a bases loaded jam.

• historiophiliac - May 18, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Quit trying to impress paperlions. :P

• indaburg - May 18, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Yeah, trying to impress ‘lions is like trying to impress McKayla Maroney. Good luck with that.

(Nevertheless, PC just confirmed that ‘lions’ assessment of him earlier this week was totally off base, if you’ll pardon the pun.)

• paperlions - May 18, 2013 at 10:37 AM

That was funny….as is “congratulating” a team you hate for winning 3 in a row.

If someone is easy to impress, their standards aren’t that high…and impressing them really means jack squat.

• historiophiliac - May 18, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Good morning, paper. I hope you’re having a nice day. :)

• paperlions - May 18, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Eh….I have a bunch of work/chores to do….so I am dragging ass on purpose because I just don’t want to do anything.

• historiophiliac - May 18, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Boooo!!!

/throws dog treats

• proudlycanadian - May 18, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Buchholz is on my fantasy team.

• paperlions - May 18, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Haha…too funny, PC.

• indaburg - May 18, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Ah, there’s our little pocket full of sunshine.

• dirtyharry1971 - May 18, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Congrats on the bluejays for holding up last place in the AL EAST!!! I mean how funny is that? They finally spend a little money and the team gets worse!!! HAHAHAHHAHA

• proudlycanadian - May 18, 2013 at 2:22 PM

That makes 3 mouse droppings that I know about. I did say that the over/under was 3.

5. proudlycanadian - May 18, 2013 at 9:24 AM

As far as the Yankees and Jays game was concerned, the Jays were simply out pitched by Kuroda thus ending a 4 game winning streak. The over/under on anti Blue Jay comments by Harry the mouse is 3.

• indaburg - May 18, 2013 at 9:40 AM

I’ll take the under. I’m shocked he hasn’t commented already.

• proudlycanadian - May 18, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Should have taken the over. It is now 5 and counting.

• indaburg - May 18, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Yep, I sure lost that bet. Now you know why I don’t bet money! What was I thinking. It was a shut-out. That was worth at least 5 comments.

I still think he’s a closet Jays fan. He knows too much minutiae about the team not to be.

• proudlycanadian - May 18, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Makes sense sort of.

• proudlycanadian - May 18, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Missed one. Six and counting.

• cur68 - May 18, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Kuroda knew who he was dealing with: a bunch of guys who CRUSH fastballs and pull off speed/breaking stuff into the dirt. His aim was excellent and even when he missed, he missed low. The few times he was hit hard, he was lucky to have the ball stay in the park or go right at someone. Those were few and far between moments, though. By and large, his skill carried the day. You don’t need to throw hard to beat MLB hitters. You just need to have good aim and make that ball move.

Josh Phelps today. Lets hope the BeaverMen like his brand of pitching a lil’ better, eh? C’Mon Beaver!

• dirtyharry1971 - May 18, 2013 at 1:36 PM

you dont need to do much to beat the jays in general, just look at their record. you are who you are so suck it up

• cur68 - May 18, 2013 at 11:07 PM

/poo FLUNG

6. historiophiliac - May 18, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I was outnumbered 5-1 watching the game last night, and I was sure my Tigers would lose, as Porcello started. I was prepared for a rough haranguing, but then, we won! I was confused at what Andrus did jumping off toward first after squaring his bat, and my sister-in-law informed me that this was a classic Texas “faunt” (faux + bunt), which he has perfected. Apparently, he is her Don Kelly. Anywho, it was nerve-racking as always when V-Wiggles came out, and savory when he got it done. No one went BOOM! so I’m pretty sure that means I’ll get one at the game tonight, right? Go, Tigers!

• indaburg - May 18, 2013 at 9:58 AM

So did you have fun or did you have FUN? Get close to getting kicked out? Any good stories?

• historiophiliac - May 18, 2013 at 10:05 AM

I was tired from the drive last night, so it was low key. Tonight, though, I’m wearing my t-shirt w/ the Tiger crazy eyes logo! And, I have a designated driver. :) I hope the beer & humidity don’t get to me and I pull a Morgana.

• indaburg - May 18, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Remember to drink a LOT of water, preferably one per beer. Nurse’s orders. You’ll be peeing every other inning (I don’t because nurses have 12 hour bladders), but you’ll be much happier. Humidity + heat + beer is a tough combination.

• detroitr1 - May 18, 2013 at 10:38 AM

That game was difficult to process at first–Porcello had his good curveball from spring training working, the bullpen held a 1 run lead and Valverde got the save. And it all happened against that other Texas team.

• historiophiliac - May 18, 2013 at 11:03 AM

It had to be that Leyland didn’t make any doom-inviting comments before the game and those bad jinx Jays fans didn’t watch. :)

• proudlycanadian - May 18, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Have fun and I hope that Miggy comes through again.

7. indaburg - May 18, 2013 at 9:52 AM

I was chatting with some buddies last night and I thought of a new torture for political prisoners. Force them to watch Rays relief pitchers ad nauseum. “I’ll tell you where the weapons of mass destruction are, just get Kyle Farnsworth off the mound! I can’t take this anymore!” Our bullpen struggles continue…

Anyone who still abides to the unwritten rule that a team with a huge lead shouldn’t be stealing bases or doing things to otherwise increase that lead needs to just be quiet. The Rays nearly blew what was a 12-3 lead at one point last night. I’m thinking 15 runs might be a good cushion. I’m not sure.

Eight runs and eight hits in eight innings charged to one Mr. Jeremy Hellickson. The Rays announcer, Orestes Destrada, seemed very happy that Hellboy only walked one. I failed to share his enthusiasm for Hellickson’s efforts, although a win’s a win. Wherefore art thou, James Shields?

• historiophiliac - May 18, 2013 at 10:00 AM

You might need some of paper’s Prozac. I’m pretty sure any torture should include watching fielding work by Don Kelly and the Astros along with Ray’s pitchers — interlaced with Josh Hamilton interviews explaining his hitting slump causes and the barbershop rendition of God Bless America performed last night. (Seriously, people, it’s NOT the national anthem; you don’t have to put your hand on your heart.) And, maybe, crying Canadians.

• indaburg - May 18, 2013 at 10:11 AM

My goodness, all of that? I just want to torture them, not kill them outright. Dead men can’t talk.

Imagine if you hadn’t gotten V-wiggles back. How would you be feeling right now? That’s how I feel. Rodney’s blown 3 saves in 10 attempts. Jacob Daniel McGee (I call him by his full name because he’s grounded) has a WHIP of 1.891. Farnsworth.. Lawdy, Farnsy is killing us. WHIP 2.172. I don’t need Prozac–this isn’t depression. It’s post traumatic stress syndrome. I bit my nails last night. It’s a nasty habit, I used to do it as a kid. I haven’t done it since the 2008 World Series. This game, man.

• historiophiliac - May 18, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Come to think of it, I didn’t pace at all in the 9th last night. Hmmm. Lowering expectations must be the trick.

Be careful self-medicating with that rum, now.

• indaburg - May 18, 2013 at 10:18 AM

I’m doing this stone cold sober. Upper respiratory infection for two weeks, reluctantly got on antibiotics yesterday. The Rays are quite literally killing me. They are sucking my bone marrow and crushing my immune system. As soon as I’m better, I’m getting shit faced.

• historiophiliac - May 18, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Wow, Tampa sounds awesome. lol

• indaburg - May 18, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Lol yeah, new team slogan:

“Be a Rays fan! The stress will kill you and white blood cells are totally overrated!”

I guess that’s why the Trop is so empty.

• proudlycanadian - May 18, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Must have been tough watching the Rays almost blow a big lead.

• indaburg - May 18, 2013 at 11:14 AM

It is. I think I may need a therapist.

• lukescottsbedsidemanner - May 18, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Did you say you need The Rapist, young lady? Oh. Wait. My mistake. “Therapist”. Right. I get carried away sometimes.

• indaburg - May 18, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Lukescottsbedsidemanner? LMAO

I regret I have but only two lungs to expectorate. Phew.

8. thebadguyswon - May 18, 2013 at 9:57 AM

I watched a little of the White Sox-Angels game. I have two questions.
    1. What does Chris Sale weigh – 170 lbs?
    2. Is there a pitcher in baseball with worse mechanics than him?

• janessa31888 - May 18, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Ubaldo Jimenez is right up there

• jm91rs - May 18, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I’ve never caught a game of his on television but I saw a screen shot of him right about at his release point and I’m wondering how the hell he can pitch like that.

• jwbiii - May 18, 2013 at 2:28 PM

The answer, I fear, is “Not for long.”

The White Sox do have an excellent record of keeping pitchers healthy, so who knows.

9. drez146 - May 18, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Cardinals win again and yet no one is talking about them…huh….typical

• historiophiliac - May 18, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Feel free to share, best fan in baseball.

• paperlions - May 18, 2013 at 11:00 AM

The Cardinals didn’t do anything worth talking about last night. That was a win that felt like a loss. There is nothing more annoying that whining for someone to write about “your team”. The Cardinals get plenty of virtual ink spilled in their honor here and elsewhere.

• historiophiliac - May 18, 2013 at 11:05 AM

OK report? And a little Kozma! please.

• paperlions - May 18, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Koz had a nice game. A couple of legitimate line-drive hits. Sadly, each was with 2 outs and the pitcher coming up, so the only thing they accomplished was getting Garcia’s strikeout out of the way. Koz also made a very nice play in the hole to end the 7th just when things seemed to be completely collapsing (they led the game 6-0 at one point).

Holliday had a couple of RBI singles.

• historiophiliac - May 18, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Thank you.

• paperlions - May 18, 2013 at 12:10 PM

No problem.

I just realized that I have a rack of StL style ribs in the fridge that I put a dry rub on thursday night that I’ll be cooking this afternoon…so…the day is looking up.

• historiophiliac - May 19, 2013 at 7:53 PM

That’s good. I hope it ended well. :)

10. natslady - May 18, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Cardiac Nats are back, and you have to stay up until 1:00 a.m. to see them. RZ is whining that the Official Scorer charged him with an error–instead of charging him with an error. Ryan, what’s one more error amoung your 10,000 and it makes the runs unearned for your pitcher. Be a good teammate! Soriano, BTW, apparently didn’t get the memo that you are supposed to work through adversity (“adversity” being errors by your team mates) and, while you may say he got BABIPed, bottom line is he blew the save and vultured the win. Bud Black says it’s Davey’s fault for putting him in in a non-save situation the night before, so his guys got a good look at his stuff. Whatever. Houston Street gave up a solo dinger to Chaditude Tracy and Storen didn’t blow HIS save–though not for lack of trying.

Adam LaRoche with not one but two home runs. Chipper has a future as a hitting coach, I guess.

After sitting in the corner yesterday, Espinosa game back to go 0-4 with 3 Ks. Lombardozzi only had 2 strikeouts, so obviously he’s a better hitter. Harper is hitting .171 for May.

A win is a win.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5371)