Troy Tulowitzki says he wasn’t accusing Madison Bumgarner of cheating

May 18, 2013, 6:05 PM EST

tulowitzki getty Getty Images

In a season that has already endured the drama of one cheating allegation, another was set to boil last night when Rockies shortstop Troy Tulowitzki asked umpire Tim McClelland to inspect the baseball Giants starter Madison Bumgarner was gripping. McClelland gave it a once-over, then tossed the ball out of play. Bumgarner said something to Tulowitzki — exactly what, we don’t know — ostensibly voicing his displeasure at having his credibility called into question.

Tulowitzki clarified his intentions to the media. CSN Bay Area’s Andrew Baggarly with the quotes:

“I wasn’t accusing him at all,” Tulowitzki said. “I have too much respect for him to do something like that. I didn’t think they were cheating.”

[…]

“You respect the game and there’s something on the baseball, so let’s get rid of it and move on,” Tulowitzki said. “You respect guys who compete. I have respect for him and hopefully he has the same for me.”

If Bumgarner was doctoring baseballs, it sure didn’t help. The lefty finished the night having allowed nine runs (seven earned) in four and two-thirds innings of work. A Jordan Pacheco grand slam ended his evening. Still, the Giants made a game of it, scoring three runs in the seventh and one run in the eighth in an eventual 10-9 loss.

1. jxegh - May 18, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Oh please. All this “respect” for the game dialog. When 80% of baseball players would use steroids and we have to hear Tulowitzki talk about respect. Just say I thought something was on the baseball and asked the ump to look at it. That’s it. Players are just too nice to each other.

2. duckthefodgers - May 18, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Then why did he want the ball checked?

• jwbiii - May 18, 2013 at 11:01 PM

There’s a difference between saying “Hey, ump, I think the ball’s messed up, would you take a look?” and saying “Bumgarner is cheating.”

3. fearthehoody - May 18, 2013 at 8:14 PM

“Its like the time your dog ate my goldfish, and you said I didnt have a goldfish. But why did I have the bowl Bart, why did I have the bowl?”

4. skeleteeth - May 18, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Swore I saw one of the Rays lefties that threw today with a four-finger width patch of something that glistened on their non-throwing arm that they went to in between pitches, like an Indian burn motion. Did not look like sweat.

5. skv7 - May 18, 2013 at 8:34 PM

I was watching the game. There was 1 inch by 1 inch black spot on the ball. I could see where Tulo was coming from as it likely was a distraction when having one second to determine whether to swing or take. It was the right move to get the ball out of the game.

6. gbrim - May 19, 2013 at 10:15 AM

A pitcher tosses a sinker in the dirt and the umpire asks for the ball to toss it out of play. Next pitch, the batter lines a worm-burner past the shortstop, the left fielder tosses it to second, he tosses it to the pitcher, who proceeds to use the ball to pitch to the next batter. That second baseball is good to go without inspection, even though it was pounded hard through the infield and rolled awhile in the outfield. Happens every day in baseball. I don’t know why hitters don’t automatically ask for a new baseball–must be one of baseball’s many unwritten rules…….

• gloccamorra - May 19, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Ballplayers are superstitious. It may be that the batter is thinking, “my teammate just got a hit with that ball, maybe I’ll get one too.”

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5028)