May 19, 2013, 7:55 PM EDT
With Jaime Garcia on the 15-day disabled list with a shoulder injury, the Cardinals have promoted 25-year-old lefty Tyler Lyons to take his spot in the rotation. Lyons had a 4.47 ERA with 38 strikeouts and nine walks in 46.1 innings with Triple-A Memphis.
Via MLB.com’s Jenifer Langosch and Chad Thornburg:
The Cardinals’ decision to tab Lyons as Garcia’s replacement was based upon a variety of factors. The timing was ideal given that Lyons’ next scheduled start for Memphis was to be on Wednesday. Also, the Cardinals did not feel that any of the pitchers in their bullpen with extensive starting experience — Carlos Martinez, Seth Maness and Joe Kelly — would have the arm strength necessary to pitch deep into a game this soon.
Lyons, selected by the Cardinals in the ninth round of the 2010 draft, is slated to start the series finale against the Padres on Wednesday.
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game, as they’re announced… 1
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 101
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (102)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)