May 19, 2013, 2:42 PM EST
The Phillies might, yet again, be without starting catcher Carlos Ruiz for an extended period of time.
Ruiz was lifted from Sunday afternoon’s game against the Reds after straining his right hamstring while running the bases in the bottom of the second inning. Ruiz will presumably be placed on the 15-day disabled list Monday, and Humberto Quintero will likely be called up from Triple-A Lehigh Valley.
Erik Kratz came on to catch for Ruiz on Sunday and will probably start for the Phillies going forward.
Ruiz, 34, was batting .235/.286/.275 with no homers and nine strikeouts in 56 plate apperances since returning April 28 from his 25-game amphetamine suspension. Hamstring strains often require 2-4 weeks.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)