May 19, 2013, 2:42 PM EDT
The Phillies might, yet again, be without starting catcher Carlos Ruiz for an extended period of time.
Ruiz was lifted from Sunday afternoon’s game against the Reds after straining his right hamstring while running the bases in the bottom of the second inning. Ruiz will presumably be placed on the 15-day disabled list Monday, and Humberto Quintero will likely be called up from Triple-A Lehigh Valley.
Erik Kratz came on to catch for Ruiz on Sunday and will probably start for the Phillies going forward.
Ruiz, 34, was batting .235/.286/.275 with no homers and nine strikeouts in 56 plate apperances since returning April 28 from his 25-game amphetamine suspension. Hamstring strains often require 2-4 weeks.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 105
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8