May 19, 2013, 11:45 PM EST
The Giants lost their third game in a row, their fifth loss in their last six games as they went down 5-0 to the Rockies this afternoon. Starter Barry Zito labored into the sixth, allowing five runs on 11 hits in 5.2 innings. It marks the sixth consecutive game in which Giants pitching has allowed five or more runs.
As for the starters specifically, Zito allowed eight (five earned) on Tuesday, Ryan Vogelsong allowed eight (three earned) on Wednesday, Matt Cain allowed six runs in 6.1 innings on Thursday, Madison Bumgarner allowed nine in 4.2 innings on Friday, and Tim Lincecum allowed six runs in five innings yesterday. Overall, the Giants’ collective 4.87 rotation ERA is the third-worst in the National League, better than only the Brewers and Padres.
CSN Bay Area’s Andrew Baggarly says that the Giants aren’t likely to make any immediate rotation changes. He does suggest keeping an eye on Mike Kickham, a 24-year-old lefty with Triple-A Fresno. While he has a 4.72 ERA in 47.2 innings, Baggarly notes his recent improvement:
He allowed one run (unearned) in six innings while striking out eight Saturday night. He’s 2-1 with a 1.80 ERA over his last four starts, with a 25-to-6 strikeout-to-walk ratio.
Stuff-wise, Kickham brings a lot more to the table than right-hander Chris Heston, who has a 5.33 ERA through nine starts. A left-hander, Kickham can maintain low 90s velocity and has a pretty good slider.
I wouldn’t expect the Giants to bring up Kickham this week, or anything. Chad Gaudin remains the first option should the Giants decide to give one of their five starters a break.
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 22
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 44
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 21
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 56
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 106
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)