May 19, 2013, 9:40 AM EST
The Rays confirmed late Saturday that 23-year-old right-hander Jake Odorizzi, who was acquired from the Royals this winter in the James Shields trade, will make his debut for Tampa Bay in Monday afternoon’s series opener against the Blue Jays.
This from Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times.
Odorizzi is filling for staff ace David Price, who hit the disabled list a few days ago with a strained left triceps muscle. Price is still out indefinitely, so Jake’s stay in the major leagues could last a while.
Odorizzi was the 32nd overall pick in the 2008 MLB Amateur Draft out of a southern Illinois high school. He was sporting a 3.83 ERA, 1.09 WHIP and 47/15 K/BB ratio through 44 2/3 innings this season at Triple-A Durham.
“Jake, by a series of different reasons, got the nod. We felt good about all of them,” Rays manager Joe Maddon told reporters on Saturday. “I hear he had been doing a great job (in Durham). Here’s a guy who went about his business really well (in the spring), has a nice makeup, has a nice way about him. So we felt confident starting him on Monday.”
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)