May 19, 2013, 9:40 AM EDT
The Rays confirmed late Saturday that 23-year-old right-hander Jake Odorizzi, who was acquired from the Royals this winter in the James Shields trade, will make his debut for Tampa Bay in Monday afternoon’s series opener against the Blue Jays.
This from Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times.
Odorizzi is filling for staff ace David Price, who hit the disabled list a few days ago with a strained left triceps muscle. Price is still out indefinitely, so Jake’s stay in the major leagues could last a while.
Odorizzi was the 32nd overall pick in the 2008 MLB Amateur Draft out of a southern Illinois high school. He was sporting a 3.83 ERA, 1.09 WHIP and 47/15 K/BB ratio through 44 2/3 innings this season at Triple-A Durham.
“Jake, by a series of different reasons, got the nod. We felt good about all of them,” Rays manager Joe Maddon told reporters on Saturday. “I hear he had been doing a great job (in Durham). Here’s a guy who went about his business really well (in the spring), has a nice makeup, has a nice way about him. So we felt confident starting him on Monday.”
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 0
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 3
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 61
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 29
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (157)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (99)