May 19, 2013, 10:15 PM EST
In the bottom of the eighth inning with the Marlins leading 2-0, Diamondbacks reliever Josh Collmenter was trying to keep the deficit at two as he faced the top of the lineup. Adeiny Hechavarria decided to attempt to bunt the first pitch he saw, but popped it up. Catcher Miguel Montero and Collmenter converged on the ball about 30 feet up the third base line. Montero slid, trying to cradle the pop-up in his mitt, but it popped loose. With his right hand, Collmenter reflexively stabbed at the ball, popping it up once again to himself to corral it for the out.
While the circus act itself was noteworthy, the best part is the relieved smile from Montero.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 25
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 26
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 374
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (375)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)