May 19, 2013, 10:15 PM EDT
In the bottom of the eighth inning with the Marlins leading 2-0, Diamondbacks reliever Josh Collmenter was trying to keep the deficit at two as he faced the top of the lineup. Adeiny Hechavarria decided to attempt to bunt the first pitch he saw, but popped it up. Catcher Miguel Montero and Collmenter converged on the ball about 30 feet up the third base line. Montero slid, trying to cradle the pop-up in his mitt, but it popped loose. With his right hand, Collmenter reflexively stabbed at the ball, popping it up once again to himself to corral it for the out.
While the circus act itself was noteworthy, the best part is the relieved smile from Montero.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12