May 19, 2013, 3:35 PM EDT
Veteran right-hander Roy Oswalt should be back in the major leagues at some point in early-to-mid June.
According to Thomas Harding of MLB.com, Oswalt allowed just one hit — a leadoff bunt — over five innings Saturday in an outing at extended spring training against a group of Brewers minor leaguers. He struck out nine batters and did not issue a walk.
Oswalt signed a minor league contract with the Rockies on May 2 that will carry a prorated $2.3 million salary if he climbs onto the 25-man roster.
Oswalt will report this week to the Double-A Tulsa Drillers for four or five tuneup starts. If those go well, he’ll then head to Denver.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (109)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)