May 19, 2013, 3:35 PM EST
Veteran right-hander Roy Oswalt should be back in the major leagues at some point in early-to-mid June.
According to Thomas Harding of MLB.com, Oswalt allowed just one hit — a leadoff bunt — over five innings Saturday in an outing at extended spring training against a group of Brewers minor leaguers. He struck out nine batters and did not issue a walk.
Oswalt signed a minor league contract with the Rockies on May 2 that will carry a prorated $2.3 million salary if he climbs onto the 25-man roster.
Oswalt will report this week to the Double-A Tulsa Drillers for four or five tuneup starts. If those go well, he’ll then head to Denver.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer comes out strongly against Chief Wahoo (116)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (88)
- Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox (73)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)