May 19, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
In the top of the sixth inning of today’s series finale in Baltimore, Rays right fielder Matt Joyce blasted a 3-2 fastball down the right field line, initially ruled a double by the umpires. Watching it live, it seemed to go foul, but when reviewed in slow motion, it was clear that the ball caromed off a metal pole just above the yellow line atop the fence — a home run. Orioles manager Buck Showalter came out to argue the ruling, and shortly thereafter, Rays manager Joe Maddon came out to argue his case as well.
The wrench: if it is ruled a double, the umpires cannot use replay review. Thus, Showalter was arguing that it was foul, and Maddon was arguing that it was a home run rather than a double. The umpires conferred, then left the field to look at the tape. When they emerged, Joyce — still standing on second — was allowed to circle the bases to complete his newly-awarded home run, his eighth of the season. Oddly enough, if Showalter had not come out to dispute the original ruling of a double, Maddon would not have argued for the home run.
Joyce’s home run gave the Rays a 3-1 lead, which they would hold on to for the win, completing the weekend sweep of the Orioles.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 18
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)