May 19, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
In the top of the sixth inning of today’s series finale in Baltimore, Rays right fielder Matt Joyce blasted a 3-2 fastball down the right field line, initially ruled a double by the umpires. Watching it live, it seemed to go foul, but when reviewed in slow motion, it was clear that the ball caromed off a metal pole just above the yellow line atop the fence — a home run. Orioles manager Buck Showalter came out to argue the ruling, and shortly thereafter, Rays manager Joe Maddon came out to argue his case as well.
The wrench: if it is ruled a double, the umpires cannot use replay review. Thus, Showalter was arguing that it was foul, and Maddon was arguing that it was a home run rather than a double. The umpires conferred, then left the field to look at the tape. When they emerged, Joyce — still standing on second — was allowed to circle the bases to complete his newly-awarded home run, his eighth of the season. Oddly enough, if Showalter had not come out to dispute the original ruling of a double, Maddon would not have argued for the home run.
Joyce’s home run gave the Rays a 3-1 lead, which they would hold on to for the win, completing the weekend sweep of the Orioles.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)