May 20, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
Each of the last two seasons, he hit well enough the last four-plus months of the season to end up with strong numbers. Last year, for instance, after May 14 he hit .312/.374/.589 with 42 doubles and 29 homers. You have to believe that he will start hitting again at some point.
But, even assuming he does again find the range, even assuming he has a few more productive years, the truth is that Pujols has entered a different phase of his career. After years of being the best player in baseball, Pujols is now sort of beside the point.
But not an inaccurate one. On the same day that most of the baseball press is lauding Miguel Cabrera as the game’s best hitter, the guy who used to hold that crown is inescapably entering his decline phase. Maybe it’ll be a nice, long, still well-above-average decline phase. I hope it is, but it certainly seems like Albert Pujols‘ time at the top has come to an end.
And, as Kay Adams and I discussed this morning, that time comes to every player:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 8
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 26
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 99
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (99)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)