May 20, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
Toronto recalled outfielder Anthony Gose from Triple-A, which surprised Blue Jays fans and media members because he was hitting just .227 with a .667 OPS in 40 games at Triple-A after struggling in his first taste of the majors last season.
And you know who else is surprised by the call-up? Anthony Gose.
Gose, on receiving call this morning: “I kept asking them, was it real? … I just couldn’t believe I was going up, he said, emphasizing “I.”
— John Lott (@LottOnBaseball) May 20, 2013
Gose is incredibly fast and figures to mostly serve as a pinch-runner and defensive replacement for the Blue Jays in the short term, so his struggles offensively aren’t particularly important. On the other hand calling up a 22-year-old to fill a very limited role is sort of surprising in itself.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 21
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (113)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)