May 20, 2013, 9:45 PM EDT
After Jonny Venters underwent Tommy John surgery last week, another Braves’ reliever is headed for the same fate.
According to David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, left-hander Eric O’Flaherty will undergo season-ending Tommy John surgery tomorrow. It doesn’t come as a big surprise, as he was diagnosed with a torn ulnar collateral ligament in his elbow over the weekend. He’ll figures to be sidelined through the early part of the 2014 season.
While the Braves still have closer Craig Kimbrel, there’s suddenly a major void in the team’s bullpen. Venters and O’Flaherty have combined for a 1.98 ERA over 447 appearances since the start of 2010.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (134)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)