May 20, 2013, 9:45 PM EDT
After Jonny Venters underwent Tommy John surgery last week, another Braves’ reliever is headed for the same fate.
According to David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, left-hander Eric O’Flaherty will undergo season-ending Tommy John surgery tomorrow. It doesn’t come as a big surprise, as he was diagnosed with a torn ulnar collateral ligament in his elbow over the weekend. He’ll figures to be sidelined through the early part of the 2014 season.
While the Braves still have closer Craig Kimbrel, there’s suddenly a major void in the team’s bullpen. Venters and O’Flaherty have combined for a 1.98 ERA over 447 appearances since the start of 2010.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 10
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 156
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 29
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39