May 20, 2013, 6:44 PM EST
The Phillies placed reliever Mike Adams on the 15-day disabled list this afternoon due to a back injury, but the club is also dealing with some injuries to their everyday lineup.
Ryan Lawrence of the Philadelphia Daily News reports that Carlos Ruiz is expected to miss 3-4 weeks after he suffered a Grade 2 strain of his right hamstring yesterday. The 34-year-old backstop will be placed on the disabled list tomorrow while right-hander Tyler Cloyd will be called up from Triple-A Lehigh Valley to take his roster spot.
The Phillies didn’t have Ruiz for the first 25 games of the season as he served his suspension for Adderall use, so they’ll now have to get by without him until around mid-June. Erik Kratz should see the bulk of the playing time during his absence while Humberto Quintero has replaced Adams on the active roster.
As for Howard, he’ll miss his second straight game tonight due to a sore left knee. The 33-year-old first baseman received a cortisone shot after an MRI revealed inflammation and a “change” in his meniscus, but the Phillies are calling him-to-day for now. Of course, he could be headed for the disabled list too if his knee doesn’t respond to the cortisone shot.
Phillies head athletic trainer Scott Sheridan told Lawrence that Howard has been dealing with symptoms for a couple of weeks and finally decided to shut things down. Interestingly, Sheridan hasn’t ruled out the possibility that the knee issue was a result of him overcompensating for his Achilles.
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 47
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 24
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (246)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (97)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)