May 20, 2013, 6:44 PM EDT
The Phillies placed reliever Mike Adams on the 15-day disabled list this afternoon due to a back injury, but the club is also dealing with some injuries to their everyday lineup.
Ryan Lawrence of the Philadelphia Daily News reports that Carlos Ruiz is expected to miss 3-4 weeks after he suffered a Grade 2 strain of his right hamstring yesterday. The 34-year-old backstop will be placed on the disabled list tomorrow while right-hander Tyler Cloyd will be called up from Triple-A Lehigh Valley to take his roster spot.
The Phillies didn’t have Ruiz for the first 25 games of the season as he served his suspension for Adderall use, so they’ll now have to get by without him until around mid-June. Erik Kratz should see the bulk of the playing time during his absence while Humberto Quintero has replaced Adams on the active roster.
As for Howard, he’ll miss his second straight game tonight due to a sore left knee. The 33-year-old first baseman received a cortisone shot after an MRI revealed inflammation and a “change” in his meniscus, but the Phillies are calling him-to-day for now. Of course, he could be headed for the disabled list too if his knee doesn’t respond to the cortisone shot.
Phillies head athletic trainer Scott Sheridan told Lawrence that Howard has been dealing with symptoms for a couple of weeks and finally decided to shut things down. Interestingly, Sheridan hasn’t ruled out the possibility that the knee issue was a result of him overcompensating for his Achilles.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)