Cleveland Indians: team of destiny

May 20, 2013, 5:03 PM EDT

Seattle Mariners v Cleveland Indians Getty Images

I actually don’t believe in teams of destiny. At least not in May. I’ve seen too many teams suck for five months, get hot in September and October and then win it all or at least come close. My 1993 Braves made a giant trade in 1993, heralded by literal flames, and then went on an otherwordly run to win an epic playoff race … only to lose in the NLCS. This ain’t a fairytale, it’s baseball.

But the Indians are probably going to get some team of destiny heat in the next 24 hours or so. This after yet another dramatic win today, 10-8 over the Mariners. This over the Seattle Mariners, powered by two homers from Yan Gomes, including a walkoff job in the 10th, giving them a come-from-behind victory. Indeed, they found themselves behind three times in this game before the win.

The Tribe has won 18 of 22. And it doesn’t feel like they’re going anyplace.

1. djpostl - May 20, 2013 at 5:13 PM

As long as their “destiny” doesn’t take them into a series vs an AL East team they’re fine =P

2. 18thstreet - May 20, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Say, who is the manager of this particular squad? Has he had success elsewhere?

I would like to meet this gentleman.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - May 20, 2013 at 5:23 PM

He’ll get back to you. He’s got a guy on the other line interested in some white walls…

3. rbj1 - May 20, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Let’s hear it for desitny! Gritty teams with the will to win don’t believe in destiny, they believe in desitny.

• nbjays - May 21, 2013 at 7:58 AM

Can’t call them gritty… that’s been trademarked by the Diamondbacks, if I remember correctly. :-)

• Kevin Gillman - May 21, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Speaking of the D-Backs, I should thank them personally for giving us Matt Albers and Bryan Shaw, who threw 4 scoreless innings yesterday, and for giving us Trevor Bauer. A 22 year old kid that has shown promise and he can be a FOR starter for years to come, yet the D-Backs gave up on him like he was a 35 year old pitcher that doesn’t listen to anyone. Thank you for the steal D-Backs.

4. largebill - May 20, 2013 at 5:19 PM

“Destiny” is good talent coming through at the right moment. Lately they’ve been doing that a lot. As a fan, I’ll take it. However, I realize we are only going as far as our pitching takes us.

5. proudlycanadian - May 20, 2013 at 5:24 PM

I remember “Destiny” She was hot, but not as hot as Yan Gomes was today. Congratulations to the only Brazilian born player in baseball on his big game.

• bigharold - May 20, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Destiny, .. Is she anything like Aura and Mystic?

I think not!

• proudlycanadian - May 20, 2013 at 5:42 PM

She wasn’t.

6. waiverclaim - May 20, 2013 at 5:29 PM

“Destiny”? Is that what Angel Hernandez’s nickname is these days?

7. waiverclaim - May 20, 2013 at 5:30 PM

my mom used to wipe desitin on my butt when i was a baby

8. waiverclaim - May 20, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Oh, and, its May. Calm down before you turn them into the 2012 Pirates.

9. tycobbfromfangraphs - May 20, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Indians were in this same position this time last year. Their pitching won’t hold up all season long (again)

• raysfan1 - May 20, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Of course last year they had a negative run differential at this point in the season, which is not the case this year.

• Kevin Gillman - May 21, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Hey Ty, the Indians didn’t have this team. They have bench guys that can now go out and perform just like the starters do. Yan Gomes> Lou Marson. A very big difference, and the pitching is better than we all thought. Masterson is the real deal, Ubaldo has learned alot from Mickey Calloway, and Zach McAllister has been the most consistent starter, and he’s still young.

10. shoehole - May 20, 2013 at 5:54 PM

If I remember correctly, the Indians were in this same situation the last two seasons then they started breaking down in the middle of the season. Hopefully their luck will change this season.

11. jwbiii - May 20, 2013 at 6:18 PM

I was really hoping that this was supposed to the “Team of Density,” because I wanted to find out what that meant.

The “Team of Desilt NY” is a bit out of date.

• professormaddog31 - May 20, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Lorraine, my density has brought me to you.

12. professormaddog31 - May 20, 2013 at 9:14 PM

That photo of Lemke and Blauser is one of my favorite things in life.

13. blantoncollier - May 20, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Dear National Media )–

Please do not pay attention to the Cleveland Indians. Indians. Please go away. Take your attention somewhere else. Please do not jinx this team!

14. fearthehoody - May 20, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Do not get too excited, my Mariners are a joke

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. G. Stanton (4007)