May 20, 2013, 5:03 PM EDT
I actually don’t believe in teams of destiny. At least not in May. I’ve seen too many teams suck for five months, get hot in September and October and then win it all or at least come close. My 1993 Braves made a giant trade in 1993, heralded by literal flames, and then went on an otherwordly run to win an epic playoff race … only to lose in the NLCS. This ain’t a fairytale, it’s baseball.
But the Indians are probably going to get some team of destiny heat in the next 24 hours or so. This after yet another dramatic win today, 10-8 over the Mariners. This over the Seattle Mariners, powered by two homers from Yan Gomes, including a walkoff job in the 10th, giving them a come-from-behind victory. Indeed, they found themselves behind three times in this game before the win.
The Tribe has won 18 of 22. And it doesn’t feel like they’re going anyplace.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 78
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)