May 20, 2013, 5:03 PM EDT
I actually don’t believe in teams of destiny. At least not in May. I’ve seen too many teams suck for five months, get hot in September and October and then win it all or at least come close. My 1993 Braves made a giant trade in 1993, heralded by literal flames, and then went on an otherwordly run to win an epic playoff race … only to lose in the NLCS. This ain’t a fairytale, it’s baseball.
But the Indians are probably going to get some team of destiny heat in the next 24 hours or so. This after yet another dramatic win today, 10-8 over the Mariners. This over the Seattle Mariners, powered by two homers from Yan Gomes, including a walkoff job in the 10th, giving them a come-from-behind victory. Indeed, they found themselves behind three times in this game before the win.
The Tribe has won 18 of 22. And it doesn’t feel like they’re going anyplace.
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 4
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 20
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 88
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 24
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (99)