Is there some friction between Mike Rizzo and the Nats’ owner?

May 20, 2013, 11:32 AM EST

Mike Rizzo AP

Adam Kilgore has an interesting article up about the job status of Nationals GM Mike Rizzo.  The Nats just extended him per the terms of his current deal, so sure, that’s a vote of confidence. But there is some weirdness afoot too:

In April, Mark Lerner, the Nationals’ principal owner, told the Washington Times that the team had begun talks to sign Rizzo to a multiyear deal. Those talks, according to people familiar with the situation, have not happened.

And when is a contract extension not the most welcome thing in the world? Maybe when you’re riding high and believe you deserve a new deal altogether that ups your salary more significantly.

Palace intrigue and Kremlinology isn’t the most important thing in baseball, but it is kinda interesting.

1. stlouis1baseball - May 20, 2013 at 11:48 AM

I am pretty sure we are safe in saying Rizzo has some friction with everyone.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - May 20, 2013 at 12:40 PM

/sarcasm font

That’s the most gutless, chickensh*t post I have ever read

2. danaking - May 20, 2013 at 11:53 AM

There’s a good chance the Nats will become the Yankees of the National League in terms of front office soap opera drama.

3. gbrim - May 20, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Rizzo great in AZ, solid in Washington in both roles. He won’t be unemployed for long if Washington moves on, despite his DC issues.

• jaguar0413 - May 20, 2013 at 12:13 PM

What issues? He took a crappy franchise and turned it into a division winner in 3 years. I think that can trump whatever “issues” it is that you talk of.

• gbrim - May 20, 2013 at 12:42 PM

The ‘issues’ I am referring to are those reported in the media over the last two years, and not just by HBT. Lots of drama in DC, and it doesn’t mean Rizzo is at fault. He was a great team player in AZ.

4. Todd Boss - May 20, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Sounds familiar. Nats employee doing well, turned around a team surprisingly, seeks meeting about his future status and is rebuffed by his superiors in the Nats organization.

We’re still talking about Jim Riggleman in 2010 right?

5. 12strikes - May 20, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Has to come back to that stupid decision of putting Strasburg on the shelf last season. Last season Rizzo killed the spirit of a team that could have gone all the way, and this season (though very early) does not look like a play off team. Lerner is realizing what real GM’s know, that you can’t bank on making the playoff every year, and the Nat’inal might have blown their shot last season.

The only thing that Strasburg is going to be ready for in October is the golf course.

6. jaguar0413 - May 20, 2013 at 12:26 PM

This story reeks of classic Craig Calcaterra homerism. We all know you root for the Braves, Craig. There’s no story here until Rizzo is fired. Lerner also said “There’s no doubt in my mind. I know Mike wants it. We want it. We’re optimistic it’ll all happen in due course. There’s no news.” Doesn’t sound to me like tension. Stop trolling Nats fans so that you can make your article quota for the day.

• 18thstreet - May 20, 2013 at 12:33 PM

I totally agree. Also, I keep looking at inksplots that conclusively show Craig is biased against my team, too!

• DelawarePhilliesFan - May 20, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Craig was in ca-hoots with Adam Kilgore?

• jaguar0413 - May 20, 2013 at 12:51 PM

He picked the quote in the story that best supported his biased opinion without showing the rest of Lerner’s quotes which state that he has confidence in resigning Rizzo to a long term deal. I think that both Craig and Kilgore are being sensationalist and reaching conclusions with little to no concrete evidence.

I’m just saying that Craig obviously chose to put this story up here to troll Nats fans yet again. He loves to take any opportunity to do it. See the “Gattitude” article from a couple weeks ago and basically anything he wrote last year about “Natitude”, that stupid Phillies fans at Nats Park controversy and the Strasburg Shutdown.

Just write a normal article for once, Craig.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - May 20, 2013 at 12:58 PM

You’re right, Craig should have said something like:

“The Nats just extended him per the terms of his current deal, so sure, that’s a vote of confidence.”

• stlouis1baseball - May 20, 2013 at 1:11 PM

I didn’t realize “cahoots” had a hyphen. I mean…it feels weird when I write and/or type it.

Nevertheless…it’s apparently a Kilgore/Calcaterra conspiracy.

*s/

• DelawarePhilliesFan - May 20, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Well, you are probably writing using the Chicago Manual of Style, in which I shall concede, “cahoots” is fully correct. But the Hart’s Rules for Compositors and Readers allows for more liberal uses of hyphens.

At least thats the story I am sticking with :)

• stlouis1baseball - May 20, 2013 at 3:32 PM

“Hart’s Rules for Compositors and Readers.”
        That’s some funny stuff Man. I thought you were joking until I googled it. Well played.

• rlj2170 - May 20, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Not true, Rizzo made an unpopular decision and stood by it from the very beginning of the season. i was not in favor of it,but respect him for standing his ground and looking out for the future of the franchise. sometimes you have to roll the dice, but if you stand by your decisions thats what separates the men from the boys

7. tonyz6060chevy - May 20, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Come to the Dodgers Mike , at least you’re not a former Ex- Giant employee,set out to undermine the Dodgers roster and payroll !

8. paperlions - May 20, 2013 at 2:42 PM

All I need to know is what friction looks like where Rizzo is from.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester