May 20, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Johnny Cueto is slated to come off the disabled list and start tonight for the Reds after missing the past month with a lat injury. His return was delayed by the same oblique problems that plagued Cueto last season and the right-hander revealed that he’s considering changing his mechanics to avoid similar injuries.
Here’s what Cueto told John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer:
You can say maybe I do too much rotation. I’m going to have to see what’s going on. If that continues to happen, I’m going to have to change my mechanics.
And here’s what he told Will Gonzalez of ESPN Deportes:
I was discussing it with the head trainer, “Do you think my windup is too strong and that’s why I am getting so many muscle injuries?” … Let’s see what happens. Maybe I just practice it in the Dominican Republic after the season is over. But I have to change my form because I can’t keep getting injured, although these things happen in sports.
Cueto shields the ball mid-delivery by basically turning his back on the hitter, so it’s certainly one of the more high-effort deliveries involving plenty of twisting and turning. He’s altered his mechanics midseason before and had no issues, but as Cueto mentioned in the above quotes it’s seemingly a whole lot safer to be making tweaks during the offseason.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (104)