May 20, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Johnny Cueto is slated to come off the disabled list and start tonight for the Reds after missing the past month with a lat injury. His return was delayed by the same oblique problems that plagued Cueto last season and the right-hander revealed that he’s considering changing his mechanics to avoid similar injuries.
Here’s what Cueto told John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer:
You can say maybe I do too much rotation. I’m going to have to see what’s going on. If that continues to happen, I’m going to have to change my mechanics.
And here’s what he told Will Gonzalez of ESPN Deportes:
I was discussing it with the head trainer, “Do you think my windup is too strong and that’s why I am getting so many muscle injuries?” … Let’s see what happens. Maybe I just practice it in the Dominican Republic after the season is over. But I have to change my form because I can’t keep getting injured, although these things happen in sports.
Cueto shields the ball mid-delivery by basically turning his back on the hitter, so it’s certainly one of the more high-effort deliveries involving plenty of twisting and turning. He’s altered his mechanics midseason before and had no issues, but as Cueto mentioned in the above quotes it’s seemingly a whole lot safer to be making tweaks during the offseason.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 59
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)