May 20, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Johnny Cueto is slated to come off the disabled list and start tonight for the Reds after missing the past month with a lat injury. His return was delayed by the same oblique problems that plagued Cueto last season and the right-hander revealed that he’s considering changing his mechanics to avoid similar injuries.
Here’s what Cueto told John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer:
You can say maybe I do too much rotation. I’m going to have to see what’s going on. If that continues to happen, I’m going to have to change my mechanics.
And here’s what he told Will Gonzalez of ESPN Deportes:
I was discussing it with the head trainer, “Do you think my windup is too strong and that’s why I am getting so many muscle injuries?” … Let’s see what happens. Maybe I just practice it in the Dominican Republic after the season is over. But I have to change my form because I can’t keep getting injured, although these things happen in sports.
Cueto shields the ball mid-delivery by basically turning his back on the hitter, so it’s certainly one of the more high-effort deliveries involving plenty of twisting and turning. He’s altered his mechanics midseason before and had no issues, but as Cueto mentioned in the above quotes it’s seemingly a whole lot safer to be making tweaks during the offseason.
Sep 23, 2014, 5:47 PM EDT
David Hale will start in Minor’s place Thursday against the Pirates.
Sep 23, 2014, 5:17 PM EDT
Lagares finishes his sophomore season hitting .283 with four homers and a .706 OPS in 115 games, which along with spectacular defense makes him one of the 10 most valuable all-around center fielders in baseball according to Wins Above Replacement.
Sep 23, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
And he’s the Phillies’ closer again
Sep 23, 2014, 4:46 PM EDT
This season can’t end soon enough for some teams.
Sep 23, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT
Every day brings us another bit of weird Derek Jeter weirdness and excess. Why should today be any different?
Sep 23, 2014, 4:06 PM EDT
Out since last Wednesday when he was hit on the left thumb by a pitch, Jason Heyward is back in the Braves’ lineup for tonight’s game against the Pirates.
Sep 23, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT
Not that he didn’t have a point in the criticisms to begin with.
Sep 23, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT
Last week deGrom tied the MLB record by striking out the first eight batters he faced against the Marlins and overall since mid-June he has a 1.90 ERA in 15 starts.
Sep 23, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT
It did not go well.
Sep 23, 2014, 2:04 PM EDT
Probably to announce Sandy Alderson’s contract extension.
Sep 23, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT
J.J. Hardy is on the verge of a big payday, but will it be from the Orioles?
Sep 23, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
The Braves could’ve fired their manager, but didn’t. Why?
Sep 23, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
“I wouldn’t be afraid to use him at any point in the game, really.”
Sep 23, 2014, 12:59 PM EDT
The Tigers can’t beat out the Orioles now, so the O’s will start the playoffs at home.
Sep 23, 2014, 12:02 PM EDT
But signing a guy to a multi-year deal after his first above average year in seven seasons is not exactly a winning move.
Sep 23, 2014, 11:12 AM EDT
No matter what happens to him for the rest of his life, Guilder Rodriguez can say he was a major leaguer.
Sep 23, 2014, 10:49 AM EDT
Great Moments in Security Theater
Sep 23, 2014, 10:06 AM EDT
Really, I can’t make any sense of this.
Sep 23, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT
With 180 innings pitched, Dan Haren’s $10 million option kicked in.
Sep 23, 2014, 9:10 AM EDT
He has won 19 or 20 games four times in his last five seasons.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 55
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)