Mark Teixeira sees first game action in extended spring

May 20, 2013, 2:20 PM EDT

Mark Teixeira AP

Mark Teixeira initially said he’d be back by May 1 and then adjusted that to June 1 and now … who knows. But the Yankees first baseman did take a big step in his recovery from a wrist injury by playing in his first extended spring training game today.

Stats for those games aren’t really official or anything, but according to Teixeira he went 1-for-2 with a double and a walk.

June 1 seems awfully optimistic, like most of Teixeira’s updates throughout this whole thing, but some time in early June could be doable if he avoids setbacks.

1. pisano - May 20, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Take your time Mark, they’re doing just fine without you, don’t rush back and injure yourself again. Overbay is a very productive substitute, and I’m sure the Yankees are happy with the way he’s filling in.

• uyf1950 - May 20, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Well put my friend. Although the Yankees could use another right handed bat. And perhaps more importantly Tex coming back might just be what Cashman needs to send Francisco packing.

• pisano - May 20, 2013 at 4:38 PM

My friend, you’re right on both accounts, but what scares me is if Tex comes back too soon,gets hurt again and they’ve cut Overbay, then what?

• protius - May 20, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Don’t cut Overbay.

• cackalackyank - May 20, 2013 at 6:01 PM

@Pisano I had the same thought,and its not a pretty one. I really do not get the thing where Francisco is still around, just like I really did not get the Aardsma thing. Then again that’s probably one of the many reasons why I am not a Big league GM, and Cashman is. At any rate…Brian…if your reading this…be real sure Tex is 100% before doing anything hasty with with Overbay. And….no I never thought I’d be saying that either.

2. fanofevilempire - May 20, 2013 at 5:20 PM

when he’s @ first base for the major league team he’s back, until then
    he is not back.

3. bigharold - May 20, 2013 at 5:26 PM

“Take your time Mark, … Overbay is a very productive substitute, and I’m sure the Yankees are happy with the way he’s filling in.”

I wouldn’t go that far. Sure, Overbay, Adams, Nix and Vernon Wells are doing a commendable jobs. But, lets not push it. What are the odds that they keep it together the entire year? And, lest we forget, the Yankee success has been due in large part, to the pitching more than any other factor.

I like Overbay and think he’s doing a great job but Teixeira plays defense better, has more power and is a switch hitter that better balances the line up. The sooner he gets back, the sooner he gets to 100% the better. Even if the Yankees find out the wrist needs surgery, the sooner the better with that as well. The only real issue with that is there might be no way to keep Overbay on the roster now that he’s proven himself valuable and he only plays 1B. Regardless, the Yankees have bee fortunate with their fill ins this season so far. I see no point in pushing their luck.

• protius - May 20, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Normally, Teixeira starts slow; so there is good reason to believe that he will continue that tradition when he returns.

Since the Yankee’s need to keep Overbay in the event Teixeira re-injures his wrist, I would DFA Fransisco, and platoon Teixeira and Overbay at first, for two or three weeks, until Teixeira gets through his slow start. Between now and then, things will work themselves out.

• bigharold - May 20, 2013 at 7:59 PM

I completely understand that Teixeira starts slow and that might well be complicated by the wrist. Nevertheless, as soon as Teixeira gets back he needs to get the ABs to gauge whether or not the wrist will hold up and get him through that slow start period. And, frankly the only reason to keep Overbay at that point is in case Teixeira’s wrist doesn’t hold up. Overbay only plays first so it’s not he can be kept on the roster for an extended period. And, it would be nice to trade him but aside from the fact that it’s a bit early for other teams to start making roster moves to sure up their line ups it’ll be common knowledge that the Yankees have no room for him. So, unless there is some team out there that suffers an injury to their 1B, realistically what can be expected in return? I would imagine that Cashman will try to trade but I wouldn’t expect much.

4. randygnyc - May 20, 2013 at 6:42 PM

No way does overbay get cut. If and when Tex is back and stays healthy for a short but reasonable time, overbay is getting traded.

5. anxovies - May 21, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Why would the Yankees cut a LH position player who has 18 extra-base hits in 44 games?

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3497)