Quote of the Day: Eric Wedge

May 20, 2013, 12:31 PM EDT

Eric Wedge, Paul Emmel AP

Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times asked the M’s manager to explain something. Here’s his answer without context.

It’s different. If I have to explain it to you, then you don’t understand. I can’t. I don’t have enough time to explain it to you, because if you don’t know, then you don’t know. And you’re never going to know. If you don’t get it, you don’t get it and you’re not going to get it.

Go read the article to see what Wedge is talking about.

I’m not going to say I know more about him than this particular subject. But I will say that, if Wedge truly does know more about than I do, one would think he could do a better job of explaining it.

1. tycobbfromfangraphs - May 20, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Question was how to find the G spot

• troy10 - May 20, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Then that answer makes total sense!!!

• fanofevilempire - May 20, 2013 at 12:54 PM

nice……………..

• indaburg - May 20, 2013 at 2:15 PM

You and I have had our differences, but your response was very funny, and probably true.

• tycobbfromfangraphs - May 20, 2013 at 2:22 PM

I rarely remember who actually made the bad points that I’ve had to correct in the past. But ya, as soon as I read Wedge’s quote that’s where my mind went.

• indaburg - May 20, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Your memory is failing you–it was me correcting you. ;-)

2. danaking - May 20, 2013 at 12:36 PM

He’s talking about his mustache, isn’t he?

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - May 20, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Nah. Everyone understands a mustache that spectacular.

• fanofevilempire - May 20, 2013 at 12:55 PM

it has to be the stache.

3. proudlycanadian - May 20, 2013 at 12:40 PM

A wedgie?

• fanofevilempire - May 20, 2013 at 12:56 PM

oh boy!

4. beefytrout - May 20, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Great picture, too. He’s pointing right at his quote, and picturing him saying it with the intensity he has in the picture is comedy cold.

• beefytrout - May 20, 2013 at 1:02 PM

and also comedy gold.

• bfunk1978 - May 20, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Either due to subconscious influence from the image or due to the fact that so many middle-aged-to-older people say so little with so many words and great intensity, I was already reading it that way. More Jim Leyland than Eric Wedge, I guess.

• tycobbfromfangraphs - May 20, 2013 at 1:24 PM

When I see the picture I can’t help thinking

“Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a sht about the rules? Mark it zero!”

• bigleagues - May 21, 2013 at 7:15 PM

“The ninth inning is different because we’re human beings and we’re not widgets. OK? It’s no different than when you’re doing regular human being things and your heatbeat speeds up a bit from the things that you’re doing in regular life.

OK, what I wanna know is who’s trolling who here? Is Geoff Baker trolling Wedge Is it Wedge trolling Geoff Baker? Or maybe Baker is just trolling EVERYBODY.

Be still my beating heat.

5. paperlions - May 20, 2013 at 1:07 PM

I’m sure it is different, just not in the way that Wedge thinks it is.

The entire League has a wOBA of .316 and a wRC+ of 98 with RISP.
    The entire League has a wOBA of .312 and a wRC+ of 95 with the bases empty.

The differences were similar last year, with guys hitting better with RISP (wOBA of .310 to .315 and wRC+ of 93 to 97).

So….I guess it is just easier to hit with RISP.

• rmcd13 - May 20, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Infielders move out of optimal defensive positioning and inferior pitchers put more runners on base.

• paperlions - May 20, 2013 at 2:25 PM

I know….plus some pitchers aren’t as effective from the stretch as the windup. Everyone likes to make a big deal out of SSS phenomena, and they also like to act like because something is important to winning (scoring runs), pressure associated with runners in scoring position must make it harder. Over the course of a career, the vast majority of hitters have better results with RISP than with the bases empty.

Just because it is important, and weird things happen over SSS, doesn’t mean it is hard (at least, any harder than hitting ML pitching normally is).

• ezthinking - May 20, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Hitting with RISP when you’re up 8 runs is a helluva lot different than down a run in the ninth. I know they have all these late-and-close stats and the like that would probably be more instructive than just RISP, but I still like Wedge’s comment “if you don’t know, then you don’t know. And you’re never going to know.”

It’s almost like someone asked him to explain the feeling you get when you see your child for the first time.

6. aceshigh11 - May 20, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Wedge looks like an enraged, coked-up Randy Quaid in that photo.

Priceless.

7. decimusprime - May 20, 2013 at 1:17 PM

At first i thought it was a baseball rule…then because of the writer’s bit, maybe an English lesson…but the comedy gold came from @tycobbonfangraphs…absolutely the perfect first comment that makes not only what the skipper said funny but also what the writer ended this piece on…hilarious!

8. caeser12 - May 20, 2013 at 1:28 PM

He’s explaining all of the empty seats on nights that Felix is not pitching.

9. ezthinking - May 20, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Spectacular answer.

And Craig, I think he did answer your question – “if Wedge truly does know more about than I do, one would think he could do a better job of explaining it” when he said ” If you don’t get it, you don’t get it and you’re not going to get it.”

Awesome.

10. deep64blue - May 20, 2013 at 3:16 PM

He hasn’t been fired yet? Wow!

11. rlj2170 - May 20, 2013 at 3:46 PM

That ranks up there with”who’s on first?”

12. misterj167 - May 21, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Did it have anything to do with Kingman’s performance? Or when is a good time to plant begonias?

• mrstpaul - May 21, 2013 at 1:24 PM

No, he’s not channelling Lasorda–it’s Jim Mora:

“You don’t know. You just don’t know. You may think you know, but you don’t know. And you never will.”

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline