May 20, 2013, 4:16 PM EST
As expected the Red Sox have activated Andrew Bailey from the disabled list after the right-hander missed the past three weeks with a strained biceps.
Before the injury Bailey had taken over as the Red Sox’s closer and he’ll almost surely reclaim ninth-inning duties right away.
Joel Hanrahan‘s season-ending elbow surgery means that Bailey doesn’t even have to look over his shoulder, although with a 2.41 career ERA pitching well has never been his problem. Staying off the disabled list is Bailey’s challenge.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (131)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)