May 20, 2013, 4:16 PM EDT
As expected the Red Sox have activated Andrew Bailey from the disabled list after the right-hander missed the past three weeks with a strained biceps.
Before the injury Bailey had taken over as the Red Sox’s closer and he’ll almost surely reclaim ninth-inning duties right away.
Joel Hanrahan‘s season-ending elbow surgery means that Bailey doesn’t even have to look over his shoulder, although with a 2.41 career ERA pitching well has never been his problem. Staying off the disabled list is Bailey’s challenge.
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 15
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59