May 20, 2013, 4:16 PM EDT
As expected the Red Sox have activated Andrew Bailey from the disabled list after the right-hander missed the past three weeks with a strained biceps.
Before the injury Bailey had taken over as the Red Sox’s closer and he’ll almost surely reclaim ninth-inning duties right away.
Joel Hanrahan‘s season-ending elbow surgery means that Bailey doesn’t even have to look over his shoulder, although with a 2.41 career ERA pitching well has never been his problem. Staying off the disabled list is Bailey’s challenge.
- Patrick Corbin diagnosed with “damage” to left UCL 32
- The Yankees were no-hit by the Marlins in Panama 31
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 44
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 10
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 58
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (107)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)