May 20, 2013, 4:16 PM EDT
As expected the Red Sox have activated Andrew Bailey from the disabled list after the right-hander missed the past three weeks with a strained biceps.
Before the injury Bailey had taken over as the Red Sox’s closer and he’ll almost surely reclaim ninth-inning duties right away.
Joel Hanrahan‘s season-ending elbow surgery means that Bailey doesn’t even have to look over his shoulder, although with a 2.41 career ERA pitching well has never been his problem. Staying off the disabled list is Bailey’s challenge.
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 49
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 10
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 20
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15