May 20, 2013, 10:15 AM EST
Ryan Howard sat out Sunday’s game with a sore left knee and the Phillies first baseman is getting an MRI exam today.
Howard told Stephen Pianovich of MLB.com that the knee “has been acting up a little bit since spring training” but “yesterday was when it really kind of kicked in more than normal.”
Howard has been in the starting lineup for 39 of the Phillies’ first 44 games, but he’s hitting just .242 with a career-worst .713 OPS and terrible 46/9 K/BB ratio. And dating back to last season Howard has a .229 batting average and .716 OPS in his last 112 games after previously never posting a sub-.835 OPS in a season.
At age 33 he’s showing major signs of decline, but Howard is making $20 million this season and the Phillies still owe him another $85 million for 2014-2016.
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 60
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 22
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)