May 20, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Ryan Howard sat out Sunday’s game with a sore left knee and the Phillies first baseman is getting an MRI exam today.
Howard told Stephen Pianovich of MLB.com that the knee “has been acting up a little bit since spring training” but “yesterday was when it really kind of kicked in more than normal.”
Howard has been in the starting lineup for 39 of the Phillies’ first 44 games, but he’s hitting just .242 with a career-worst .713 OPS and terrible 46/9 K/BB ratio. And dating back to last season Howard has a .229 batting average and .716 OPS in his last 112 games after previously never posting a sub-.835 OPS in a season.
At age 33 he’s showing major signs of decline, but Howard is making $20 million this season and the Phillies still owe him another $85 million for 2014-2016.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)