May 20, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
I’m sure it has zero to do with their play, but Pete Abraham of the Globe reports that, unlike in years past, the Red Sox are puttin’ on the ritz this year for road trips:
Clay Buchholz, John Lackey, and Jon Lester now dress like hedge fund managers on road trips. Ryan Dempster has custom-made suits he gets in Montreal. Jonny Gomes cleans up real nice in suits that would work in any boardroom. Mike Napoli has jackets with distinctive patterns. There are Burberry ties, cuff links and starched collars everywhere you look.
It’s a long way from chicken and beer, I guess. Maybe if the season ends poorly again some story will come out about how guys were secretly drinking malbec and eating tapas in the clubhouse.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 6
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 3
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 37
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)