And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights

May 21, 2013, 6:49 AM EDT

Clayton Kershaw

Dodgers 3, Brewers 1: After the last scene of Don Mattingly’s managerial life flashed before him, he looked back at the footprints in the sand. He noticed that at many times along the path of his time in Los Angeles, especially at the very lowest and saddest times, there was only one set of footprints. Clayton Kershaw then whispered, “My precious child, I love you and will never leave you. Never, ever, during your trials and testings. When you saw only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.” (9 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 5K).

Diamondbacks 5, Rockies 1: Patrick Corbin continues to roll on, and this time he added some strikeouts to skew dominant. He allowed one run on three hits, striking out ten.

Marlins 5, Phillies 1: The Marlins have 13 wins this season, four of which have come against Philly. That’s gotta make the Phillies angry. Cole Hamels was certainly angry, as he left the clubhouse in something of a huff. Maybe it’s because Charlie Manuel pulled him early for a pinch hitter in an effort to get a run? Maybe it was because the Phillies have only scored 20 runs for him all season? Maybe because he saw Alex Sanabia throwing a spitball?

Indians 10, Mariners 8: Two homers for Yan Gomes as the Indians continue to roll. Winners of 18 of 22 and a team that doesn’t look like it’s going anywhere.

Braves 5, Twins 1: Sometimes I wish Gleeman and I were competitive rah-rah fans so when stuff like our teams meeting happens we could talk trash and all that. But we’re not. I suppose if I sent him some “in your face” kind of message after this one he’d respond back with “oh well.” Which is way better for the blood pressure, frankly. A three-run homer for Dan Uggla and a nice outing from Julio Teheran.

Reds 4, Mets 3: Jay Bruce hit a tie-breaking homer in the sixth. Arolids Chapman, who blew his previous two saves, locked this one down. Dusty Baker on his closer:

“Got to get back on the horse, right away,” manager Dusty Baker said. “Otherwise it festers and grows.”

The horse? So confused.

Blue Jays 7, Rays 5: R.A. Dickey is slowly righting the ship, winning his second in a row. You have to right the ship or else it gets all infected and oozes. Or something. Sorry, that Dusty Baker quote is still bugging me.

Yankees 6, Orioles 4: The Orioles are in a flat spin, losers of six straight. People usually say “tailspin” but I liked “Top Gun” a lot when I was a kid and flat spins are far more ominous and scary for me, Goose. With the Yankees down 4-3 in the ninth, Travis Hafner homered off Jim Johnson, who has now blown three straight saves. Vernon Wells and Hafner added RBIs in the 10th to seal the win. Mariano Rivera did not, in contrast, blow the save. Because he is Mariano Rivera.

Athletics 9, Rangers 2: It feels like these two teams have played 15 games against one another in the past couple of weeks. Oh well, too busy to check. Gonna assume that’s right. Anyway, Seth Smith homered and scored three times and Bartolo Colon pitched seven strong innings.

White Sox 6, Reds Sox 4: Sox win.

Padres 4, Cardinals 2: Jason Marquis has won five straight starts and I can’t even. He said after the game that he’s “making better pitches.” Bud Black said after the game that Marquis is “a guy that continues to make pitches when he needs to.”  I guess he’s just making pitches, eh?

Astros 6, Royals 5: Matt Dominguez hit a three-run homer. Jason Castro hit a solo shot. Miguel Tejada hit a homer too. It was his first bomb since 2011. Jeremy Guthrie was shelled and has allowed 19 runs and 11 hits in his past two outings. The Royals are now a sub-.500 team.

Giants 8, Nationals 0: Ryan Vogelsong was cruising — tossing five shutout innings — until he broke his throwing hand while fouling off a pitch in the bottom of the fifth. Enter the DH people. Meanwhile, after the game Davey Johnson announced that Ryan Mattheus broke his pitching hand punching a locker in frustration Sunday. Jesus, people.

1. uyf1950 - May 21, 2013 at 6:51 AM

In this game for the Yankees it seemed like everyone chipped in a little bit. A little Cano, Hafner, Overbay and Adams, With some Ichiro and Wells thrown in for good measure. On a night when CC struggled, which in all honesty seems to happening a little more often then usual the bullpen did it’s job and did it great. Kelly, Logan, Robertson and Mo combined for 3 2/3 innings of 2 hit shutout ball. And River got his 17th consecutive save of the season without a defeat, tying Jason Grill of the Pirates for the ML lead in saves.

• uyf1950 - May 21, 2013 at 7:56 AM

Correction: “Kelley”, “Rivera”

Boy that’s what happens when you get old. The second thing to go is your typing skills.

• Old Gator - May 21, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Then don’t get old. I don’t.

• stex52 - May 21, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Good luck with that, OG. I’m trying the same trick. It isn’t working.

• Old Gator - May 21, 2013 at 11:04 AM

My personal strength and yoga trainer is a retired swimsuit model. Try that. It works.

• APBA Guy - May 21, 2013 at 11:46 AM

OG, since you are in Florida, one naturally assumes that the “retired” swimsuit model in question is roughly 120 years old. But as you are also in Miami, maybe she’s (I’m assuming here) is only 30. In which case…

• Old Gator - May 21, 2013 at 2:03 PM

She’s 51, going on 30, and still a knockout. She could still blow most 20-somethings off the runway. Speaking of runways, she’s also married to the commanding officer of one of the F-16 wings at Homestead AFB. The flyboys score all the hotties, don’t they?

• vanquish0916 - May 21, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Here’s a recap of MY home team’s game, because that information is not readily available for you elsewhere!

• deathmonkey41 - May 21, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Except for CC, who gets paid like he’s one of the biggest aces in the league, but never really pitches like it. If not for a few bad calls by the umpire, the damage might have been worse. As soon as Girardi trotted him out there for the 7th instead of Kelley, I knew he was giving the lead right back. Luckily Gronk bailed him out in the 9th.

2. indaburg - May 21, 2013 at 6:59 AM

I’m cracking up laughing over the Kershaw line, Craig. I’ll meet you in hell someday. Save me a beer.

Dickey pitched well. The kunckler was dancing. The Rays attempted a comeback but Janssen is Zobrist’s daddy (0 for 9) and the Rays fell short. Hope that beer and BBQ tasted extra good yesterday, Canada.

• proudlycanadian - May 21, 2013 at 7:14 AM

It was a great holiday weekend in Toronto. My beaver trapping expedition went well. The weather was hot and the rain held off until fireworks time. (Gander, Newfoundland got about a foot and a half of snow.) I also want to thank the Tampa Bay bullpen for aiding in the Toronto victory. Janssen had not pitched for 9 games and was a tad rusty, but he had a decent margin to work with when he entered the game. Tonight the Rays have a decent chance to win as the Toronto starter will be Ramon Ortiz who is supposed to be about 40 but looks a lot older.

• indaburg - May 21, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Beaver trapping expedition? That’s not some sort of euphemism, is it?

The Rays bullpen is consistent, I’ll say that much for it. The good news–I’m a glass half full kinda girl–is that Odorizzi looked great. Yes, small sample size, but the future still looks bright for our starting pitching.

• Old Gator - May 21, 2013 at 8:21 AM

And a happy Victoria Day to all. I figured there had to be a traditional beaver hunt associated with it. Isn’t that the day that you have to wade barefoot through the Don?

• proudlycanadian - May 21, 2013 at 9:00 AM

I was hunting beaver a bit east of the Don. Saw a lot of trees before I viewed the elusive prey.

• dirtyharry1971 - May 21, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Janssen almost blew it and the real bottom line is the jays are still 10 games back so you are not picking up any ground at all and we got only 10 days left to may so you are who your record says you are

• deathmonkey41 - May 21, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Yeah, but in comparison to Jose Contreas’ 40, Ortiz looks like a young whippersnapper.

• Old Gator - May 21, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Speaking about “East of the Don,” Proudly, listen here – one of your local treasures:

East of the Don.m4a

• historiophiliac - May 21, 2013 at 7:31 AM

I was confused. I thought Harper was Jesus. Are there Jesi? (Jesuses? poly-Jesus?) Or, is one a pretend Jesus?

• Kevin S. - May 21, 2013 at 7:47 AM

Please. Mo is the one true baseball Jesus.

• indaburg - May 21, 2013 at 8:13 AM

I see you’ll be joining us in hell. I will save you a cold one.

• Kevin S. - May 21, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Been on that highway for a long, long time.

Fair warning, I’m a bit of a snob when it comes to my beer.

• Old Gator - May 21, 2013 at 8:36 AM

You’ve been on that highway for a long time for the same reason I have. The traffic is pretty heavy, especially during holidays associated with a traditional beaver hunt.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - May 21, 2013 at 9:32 AM

I see you’ll be joining us in hell. I will save you a cold one.

Who wants to go to Heaven? All the bad girls will be in Hell…
        -anon

• unclemosesgreen - May 21, 2013 at 8:48 AM

I’ll bring the s’mores fixins.

• historiophiliac - May 21, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Oh, honey, if we’re in hell, you are eating scrod forever.

• unclemosesgreen - May 21, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Are you sure we’re talking about the same place?

• stex52 - May 21, 2013 at 9:12 AM

I laughed pretty hard at that one, too, I’m afraid. Have to run off to Confession later. I would try to save some of you reprobates, but where to start???

• indaburg - May 21, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Pray for our souls, stex.

• stex52 - May 21, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Charity starts at home. I was laughing at it myself. And I liked the Sand People comment, too.

3. wlschneider09 - May 21, 2013 at 7:18 AM

All the HBT Oklahoma residents ok this morning? No pun intended.

• raysfan1 - May 21, 2013 at 9:38 AM

I live just north of OKC, so my house and family are just fine. However a lot of my friends live in Moore. Some had property damage but none of them were hurt. I’m very thankful for that today, even as I’m saddened for all the families that weren’t so fortunate.

• historiophiliac - May 21, 2013 at 10:05 AM

I’m not near where the damage was, but a couple of my friends lost their houses. Fortunately/unfortunately, they are both out of town and are coming home to this.

4. kcrobert10 - May 21, 2013 at 7:19 AM

Go royals go. Back to being the losers we always been.

5. janessa31888 - May 21, 2013 at 7:29 AM

That game yesterday was crazy. Bad pitching for the Tribe, bad defense for the Mariners. Yan Gomes is becoming very popular here. Great defensive catcher and a decent bat too. Philly can have Lou Marson back. He was part of That Awful Trade. I shudder just thinking about it.

• historiophiliac - May 21, 2013 at 7:33 AM

It’s on today.

6. Kevin S. - May 21, 2013 at 7:35 AM

Craig, there was only one set of footprints in the sand because the Sand People ride in single file to hide their numbers.

• historiophiliac - May 21, 2013 at 9:21 AM

This made me flash to my favorite movie — Lawrence of Arabia — when Omar Sharif comes out of the desert.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - May 21, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Every time someone quotes that Footsteps story, I can only think of this Onion article:

• 4d3fect - May 21, 2013 at 10:05 AM

“FOOTSCHTAPPS! FOOTSCHTAPPS! FOOTSCHTAPPS!”

7. skeleteeth - May 21, 2013 at 7:46 AM

I think Mattingly’s managerial life was flashing in front of everyone else’s speculative eyes.

• Old Gator - May 21, 2013 at 7:55 AM

I think it was even flashing before Emerson’s transparent eyeball.

• deathmonkey41 - May 21, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Maybe it’s time to re-unite Bobby V with A-Gone and Crawford.

8. Old Gator - May 21, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Whether or not Alex Sanabia was throwing spitballs last night, by beating the Feelies the Feesh failed to get behind the Astros, who also won, and so the two teams remained locked in a tie for the worst record in baseball and degenerated baseball-like diversions.

Yes, these games are awful. On the other hand, there’s a certain utility to doing research reading while occasionally looking over the top of your glasses at a contest between two awful teams. The Feesh do have a ubiquitous wasp-waisted on-camera feature reporter and color journalist named Allison Williams, who looks a lot like Ariana Huffington in her prime, and makes watching these little league games almost worthwhile (despite the unrelieved triviality of the stuff such roving announcers have to talk about – upcoming Greg Dobbs bobblehead night, one-for-two hot dog deals, the night you can bring your pet squirrel monkeys to the park, make-it-to-the-beach-ahead-of-the-coast-guard night – you know).

In other news, on a rainy night in Macondo the Feesh report attendance of 13,231. A look at the stands however….well, you know.

9. jarathen - May 21, 2013 at 8:29 AM

The Angels haven’t lost since Friday! Go Angels!

• Old Gator - May 21, 2013 at 8:37 AM

You think they read the Posnanski article and got pissed off?

10. heyblueyoustink - May 21, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Spitball-gate. I saw it in real time, just didn’t process it at the moment. I don’t know that he kept it up all game, though the Phils bats seemed to have been covered in some “anti-clutch contact” kind of fluid.

• historiophiliac - May 21, 2013 at 9:22 AM

So, scotch?

• heyblueyoustink - May 21, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Dennis: Sorry mates, but we’ve just about run out of petrol.
      Simon: Hey. [grabs a bottle of scotch] Is there any chance that it will run on this?
      Terry Rapson: Are you mad? That’s a twelve-year-old scotch! [Simon pours the scotch into three glasses]
      Simon: Gentlemen. To England.
      Rapson: To Mankind.
      Dennis: To Manchester United!

• Kevin S. - May 21, 2013 at 10:06 AM

What a shitty-ass movie. This recap was *way* better: http://m15m.livejournal.com/2025.html

• heyblueyoustink - May 21, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Word, and not my favorite movie in the world ( Beetlejuice, of all movies, and it’s not the best, just my favorite ) , but it’s been backround noise enough times that you just pick up on some things.

• historiophiliac - May 21, 2013 at 10:47 AM

I can’t decide if you drink too much, blue, or need to drink more. lol

• heyblueyoustink - May 21, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Too much according to my doc’, not enough if you worked in the environment I work in! :-)

11. sportsdrenched - May 21, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Royals gonna Royals. sigh.

I’m skipping meltdown this year and going straight to apathy. Which, at least it’s late May this year as opposed to the third week of April.

• kcrobert10 - May 21, 2013 at 10:06 AM

I feel ur pain brother nothing like being from kcmo and routing for the royals, chiefs, and tigers. Were just a glutton for punishment in the city of fountains.

12. stex52 - May 21, 2013 at 9:32 AM

So our young phenom, Shelby Miller, proves mortal. I expected greater things against San Diego. But, ah, the vagaries of baseball.

As to the Astors, maybe a few successes in a somewhat easier part of the schedule will help. I hope so, but a couple of good starters would help more.

And I agree with Craig about that whole growing, festering horse thing. I’ll probably have nightmares tonight.

• sportsdrenched - May 21, 2013 at 9:34 AM

I’ll stand by my claim that the Astros see a .500+ season and the playoffs before the Royals.

• kcrobert10 - May 21, 2013 at 12:12 PM

I’d hope so. Explain to me why Houston and Miami two top 10 tv markets and population cities and there payrolls are basically nothing. If I was a fan of those clubs you should definitely expect a lot more with the money advantages they should have.

• icanspeel - May 21, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Shelby pitched better than the box score and loss show. The Padres found the Cardinals cryptonite which is their bullpen and once Shelby was pulled the bullpen let the 2 inherited runners score with 2 outs. 1 on a hit batsman with the bases loaded which must sting on all levels.

13. RoyHobbs39 - May 21, 2013 at 10:07 AM

You got the summary of the Chicago/Boston game wrong. The Sox lost.

14. moogro - May 21, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Although Kershaw missed it by a couple, due to 8th inning hiccups, Corbin got the Maddux.

15. APBA Guy - May 21, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Capt. Colon went 7 in the howling wind of Arlington last night (when I lived in Texas we used to call it the convection oven, 90 degrees and wind over 25 mph-you cook more thoroughly, and quicker). But the real news was how the A’s piled up the pitches on newby starter Josh Lindblom. By the 5th Lindbloom was at 80 pitches, and Wash was reluctant to pull him, not wanting to expose the long relief, not a strength for Texas this year. But Lindblom had to go as he kept giving up sharp line drives that found gaps, a Crisp, Cespedes, Moss cha-cha of two base hits doing him in. The long relief appeared in the form of Ortiz who promptly surrendered three hits and 3 walks in between 4 outs. By then the game was over. Texas just wanted to get out of the wind allowing Blevins and Neshek to close the last two innings on no hits.

Tonight should be different as Darvish faces the very Shaky Dan Straily.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3075)