May 21, 2013, 8:53 AM EDT
I’m not sure why anyone would find that sentiment, voiced by Barry Bonds to Bob Nightengale, to be controversial. But I imagine they will. Anyway, here were the Home Run King’s exact words about Miguel Cabrera:
“He’s definitely the best. It’s not rocket science here. He’s the best. By far. Without a doubt. The absolute best … I don’t try to compare me to anybody. I was the best on the field. I did more things than he did. My game was different than his game. So comparing him, to me, there’s no comparison. He doesn’t have my MVPs. He doesn’t have my numbers. Well, not yet, anyways. But does he have that ability? Yes, he does. Does he have that gift? Yes, he does.”
Again, this shouldn’t be a point of debate. As Aaron noted yesterday:
Miguel Cabrera is hitting .387/.457/.659 in 42 games this season. Barry Bonds hit .349/.559/.809 in 573 games from 2001-2004.
— Aaron Gleeman (@AaronGleeman) May 20, 2013
There will always be a “best hitter in the game.” At the moment it’s Miguel Cabrera. For a while it was Albert Pujols. Manny Ramirez may have had a claim there for a few years. But when you’re talking about all-time accolades, you can’t avoid the fact that Barry Bonds walked the baseball earth for a couple of decades and out up mind-bending numbers.
Now, which of you will be the first to rush to the comments and tell us that he took performance enhancing drugs as if we were unaware of this fact and as if it totally obliterates all of Bonds’ accomplishments as opposed to merely your opinion of them and his personal morals and ethics?
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 14
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 80
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 10
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 20
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)