May 21, 2013, 8:53 AM EDT
I’m not sure why anyone would find that sentiment, voiced by Barry Bonds to Bob Nightengale, to be controversial. But I imagine they will. Anyway, here were the Home Run King’s exact words about Miguel Cabrera:
“He’s definitely the best. It’s not rocket science here. He’s the best. By far. Without a doubt. The absolute best … I don’t try to compare me to anybody. I was the best on the field. I did more things than he did. My game was different than his game. So comparing him, to me, there’s no comparison. He doesn’t have my MVPs. He doesn’t have my numbers. Well, not yet, anyways. But does he have that ability? Yes, he does. Does he have that gift? Yes, he does.”
Again, this shouldn’t be a point of debate. As Aaron noted yesterday:
Miguel Cabrera is hitting .387/.457/.659 in 42 games this season. Barry Bonds hit .349/.559/.809 in 573 games from 2001-2004.
— Aaron Gleeman (@AaronGleeman) May 20, 2013
There will always be a “best hitter in the game.” At the moment it’s Miguel Cabrera. For a while it was Albert Pujols. Manny Ramirez may have had a claim there for a few years. But when you’re talking about all-time accolades, you can’t avoid the fact that Barry Bonds walked the baseball earth for a couple of decades and out up mind-bending numbers.
Now, which of you will be the first to rush to the comments and tell us that he took performance enhancing drugs as if we were unaware of this fact and as if it totally obliterates all of Bonds’ accomplishments as opposed to merely your opinion of them and his personal morals and ethics?
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 18
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 86
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 56
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (86)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)