May 21, 2013, 8:53 AM EDT
I’m not sure why anyone would find that sentiment, voiced by Barry Bonds to Bob Nightengale, to be controversial. But I imagine they will. Anyway, here were the Home Run King’s exact words about Miguel Cabrera:
“He’s definitely the best. It’s not rocket science here. He’s the best. By far. Without a doubt. The absolute best … I don’t try to compare me to anybody. I was the best on the field. I did more things than he did. My game was different than his game. So comparing him, to me, there’s no comparison. He doesn’t have my MVPs. He doesn’t have my numbers. Well, not yet, anyways. But does he have that ability? Yes, he does. Does he have that gift? Yes, he does.”
Again, this shouldn’t be a point of debate. As Aaron noted yesterday:
Miguel Cabrera is hitting .387/.457/.659 in 42 games this season. Barry Bonds hit .349/.559/.809 in 573 games from 2001-2004.
— Aaron Gleeman (@AaronGleeman) May 20, 2013
There will always be a “best hitter in the game.” At the moment it’s Miguel Cabrera. For a while it was Albert Pujols. Manny Ramirez may have had a claim there for a few years. But when you’re talking about all-time accolades, you can’t avoid the fact that Barry Bonds walked the baseball earth for a couple of decades and out up mind-bending numbers.
Now, which of you will be the first to rush to the comments and tell us that he took performance enhancing drugs as if we were unaware of this fact and as if it totally obliterates all of Bonds’ accomplishments as opposed to merely your opinion of them and his personal morals and ethics?
- Who really owns a home run ball? 56
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 127
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Remembering David Letterman’s best sports moments 11
- Ryan Zimmerman is Mr. Walk-Off (and the numbers to prove it) 11
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)