May 21, 2013, 5:38 PM EST
Sorry. That headline may have been a bit dramatic. But see, I turn 40 in July. And while I’m generally cool with that — and while I am, in all honestly, in The Best Shape of My Life — it has dawned on me pretty clearly that we are almost to the point where there are NO MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL PLAYERS OLDER THAN ME. This is sobering.
I’m thinking about this because just this afternoon Miguel Batista was released. Just yesterday Derek Lowe was DFA’d. Mariano Rivera will retire after the season is over. Those are three of the very small handful of players left who were born before July 14, 1973. And while it doesn’t mean a heck of a lot when you think hard about it, it’s kinda sobering when you think casually about it. Athletes have always, in my mind anyway, been older than me. I know that that has mostly not been true for many years now, but soon that will almost be 100% not the case.
Assuming Lowe and Batista don’t latch on, who’s left older than your aging blogger here? Darren Oliver. Jason Giambi. Henry Blanco. Jose Contreras. Raul Ibanez. Andy Pettitte. LaTroy Hawkins. Ramon Ortiz. Bartolo Colon. That’s it, I believe.
Hold on guys. Hold on with all of your might.
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 40
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 21
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 62
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)