Baseball’s discrimination against old players has to stop

May 21, 2013, 5:38 PM EDT

miguel batista getty Getty Images

Sorry. That headline may have been a bit dramatic. But see, I turn 40 in July. And while I’m generally cool with that — and while I am, in all honestly, in The Best Shape of My Life — it has dawned on me pretty clearly that we are almost to the point where there are NO MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL PLAYERS OLDER THAN ME.  This is sobering.

I’m thinking about this because just this afternoon Miguel Batista was released. Just yesterday Derek Lowe was DFA’d. Mariano Rivera will retire after the season is over. Those are three of the very small handful of players left who were born before July 14, 1973. And while it doesn’t mean a heck of a lot when you think hard about it, it’s kinda sobering when you think casually about it. Athletes have always, in my mind anyway, been older than me. I know that that has mostly not been true for many years now, but soon that will almost be 100% not the case.

Assuming Lowe and Batista don’t latch on, who’s left older than your aging blogger here? Darren Oliver. Jason Giambi. Henry Blanco. Jose Contreras. Raul Ibanez. Andy Pettitte. LaTroy Hawkins. Ramon Ortiz. Bartolo Colon. That’s it, I believe.

Hold on guys. Hold on with all of your might.

1. schmedley69 - May 21, 2013 at 9:25 PM

I was born the day before Ken Griffey Jr, and I started feeling old as soon as he made it to the Majors. Next year I will be as old as Pete Rose was when he broke Ty Cobb’s record. Time really flies.

2. mazblast - May 22, 2013 at 12:54 AM

John Hunt (remember him?) wrote an article on this c. 1998, when I was down to three guys older than me in the majors. Basically, he said you’re not old until there’s no one older than you in the majors. All three called it quits that off-season–Eck, Dennis “el Presidente” Martinez, and Danny Darwin.

What gets me more is seeing guys retire whose FATHERS I remember as rookies, guys like Brian McRae and Barry Bonds.

3. jaylaw01 - May 22, 2013 at 1:23 AM

I think we can all agree we have been feeling older since leagues starting hiring GM’s who we still popping zits 5 minutes before their introductory press conferences! Last true sign of getting older is when your President is younger than you!

4. tuberippin - May 22, 2013 at 2:03 AM

If it makes you feel any better, I’m a little older than Mike Trout, older than Jurickson Profar, Jose Fernandez, Bryce Harper, Nolan Arenado, and Martin Perez.

• abaird2012 - May 22, 2013 at 7:43 AM

On the other hand, I was sad when Julio Franco quit …

5. thebigtim2012 - May 22, 2013 at 8:16 AM

R.A. Is a fraud due to his stats compared to his contract. Maybe fraud is a lil strong perhaps he should just be charged with grand theft or fraud

6. stex52 - May 22, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Tough it out Craig. Imagine how you’ll feel in 20 years. No sympathy here.

7. ctony1216 - May 22, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Easy solution — follow the PGA tour instead. Fred Couples, age 53! Makes you feel young again!

• bolweevils2 - May 22, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Speak for yourself on that one.

8. agudelesp - May 22, 2013 at 8:25 PM

I was born the same day that Ismael Valdez (August 21th 1973) and he “retired” in 2005, at 31, to work in politics at Mexico, but didn´t make it official until 2012. Until last year I kept my hope to play in MLB, but now…

9. 4cornersfan - May 23, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Take heart Craig. With those over 40’s and a few players who are 38 or over you could actually field a fairly representative team.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win