May 21, 2013, 7:27 PM EDT
The Phillies aren’t giving out many details, only saying that Utley will be reevaluated by team doctors on Wednesday. He apparently felt the discomfort while taking pregame batting practice.
Freddy Galvis is getting the start in his place.
Utley, 34, is batting .272/.339/.475 with seven home runs, five stolen bases and 25 RBI in 177 plate appearances this season. The Phillies entered play Tuesday night with a 21-24 record and a third-place standing in the National League East.
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 4
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 3
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 85
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20