May 21, 2013, 1:20 PM EDT
Indians closer Chris Perez has been pretty active on Twitter over the years, but apparently the negative comments following a blown save Saturday and another poor outing Monday led him to delete the account last night.
I can’t imagine having to deal with the angry, ugly comments that athletes receive on Twitter every day, let alone following particularly poor performances. It’s often pretty disgusting, although presumably Perez had gotten at least somewhat used to do that by now (or learned to ignore it).
It’s also worth noting that Perez publicly criticized Indians fans for the team’s poor attendance last season, saying they were partly to blame for free agents not coming to Cleveland.
I, of course, welcome all angry, ugly comments via Twitter. The more the merrier, really.
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 20
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)