May 21, 2013, 1:20 PM EDT
Indians closer Chris Perez has been pretty active on Twitter over the years, but apparently the negative comments following a blown save Saturday and another poor outing Monday led him to delete the account last night.
I can’t imagine having to deal with the angry, ugly comments that athletes receive on Twitter every day, let alone following particularly poor performances. It’s often pretty disgusting, although presumably Perez had gotten at least somewhat used to do that by now (or learned to ignore it).
It’s also worth noting that Perez publicly criticized Indians fans for the team’s poor attendance last season, saying they were partly to blame for free agents not coming to Cleveland.
I, of course, welcome all angry, ugly comments via Twitter. The more the merrier, really.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)