May 21, 2013, 4:46 PM EDT
As expected the Cubs activated Matt Garza from the disabled list to face the Pirates tonight, which will be his first start since being shut down with elbow problems last July.
His recovery from the elbow injury was delayed by a lat injury suffered during spring training, which is how he ended up missing 10 months without undergoing a surgery.
Garza threw six shutout innings in a rehab start last week and stretched out to 75 pitches, so he should be good for 90 or so tonight unless the Pirates knock him around early.
Garza’s return means that Carlos Villanueva is headed to the bullpen after posting a 3.93 ERA in eight starts.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)