May 21, 2013, 4:46 PM EDT
As expected the Cubs activated Matt Garza from the disabled list to face the Pirates tonight, which will be his first start since being shut down with elbow problems last July.
His recovery from the elbow injury was delayed by a lat injury suffered during spring training, which is how he ended up missing 10 months without undergoing a surgery.
Garza threw six shutout innings in a rehab start last week and stretched out to 75 pitches, so he should be good for 90 or so tonight unless the Pirates knock him around early.
Garza’s return means that Carlos Villanueva is headed to the bullpen after posting a 3.93 ERA in eight starts.
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 3
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 20
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 23
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (82)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)