May 21, 2013, 4:46 PM EDT
As expected the Cubs activated Matt Garza from the disabled list to face the Pirates tonight, which will be his first start since being shut down with elbow problems last July.
His recovery from the elbow injury was delayed by a lat injury suffered during spring training, which is how he ended up missing 10 months without undergoing a surgery.
Garza threw six shutout innings in a rehab start last week and stretched out to 75 pitches, so he should be good for 90 or so tonight unless the Pirates knock him around early.
Garza’s return means that Carlos Villanueva is headed to the bullpen after posting a 3.93 ERA in eight starts.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (111)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)