Justin Morneau got autograph lessons from Harmon Killebrew

May 21, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT

justin morneau ap AP

This is a short article in the Pioneer Press, but two nuggets from it:

• Justin Morneau is pretty ambivalent about autographs because he knows most of the people trying to get them are memorabilia guys who are going to turn around and sell it; and
  • His autographs are very legible because Harmon Killebrew told him he needed to write his name clearly when he signs.

To sum up: Harmon Killebrew > baseball memorabilia guys. As if you expected anything else.

That aside, I’m totally with Morneau here. Every time I see an autograph scrum I see a handful of kids who legitimately want an autograph from a player they root for and admire and a bunch of seedy-looking dudes with bad sunglasses and gross mustaches, carrying briefcases full of cards and pictures which you know they’re going to sell later. Just kinda sad.

1. cur68 - May 21, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I think its an close race between Mike Schmidt & Andre Dawson for nicest looking autograph. Probably the edge goes to Dawson. Its a beaut. Morneau’s is not bad and I’m pleased he makes the effort to make it a nice autograph, but The Hawk’s is gonna take some beating. And yeah, those memorabilia guys are kinda seedy looking. Get real jobs, fellas.

2. moogro - May 21, 2013 at 10:41 AM

There’s profile videos online of Morneau talking about Killebrew and the value of giving the fans a good autograph from a few years ago.

3. moogro - May 21, 2013 at 10:47 AM

or this:

4. largebill - May 21, 2013 at 10:54 AM

I’ve never gotten into the whole autograph nonsense. My understanding is the purpose of getting a celebrity’s autograph is so you can prove you met that celebrity. Well, if you buy something signed by a player you’re getting proof someone else met him/her. Beyond that, If I tell someone that I met Frank Robinson after an Indians game in the mid-70’s they can either believe me or not. Those who think I’d lie about something like that aren’t really friends anyway. I do make an exception for book signings.

• yahmule - May 21, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Autographs are dumb, except under the circumstances where you think they’re okay. Got it.

• paperlions - May 21, 2013 at 12:59 PM

I’m not a fan of autographs. I understand that they are a thing and some people cherish/value them….but it’s not my thing…especially book signings, with their faux personalizations. I understand kids doing it because they idolize someone….they are kids.

• soxfan1966 - May 21, 2013 at 1:13 PM

I am an older fan, but I still enjoy getting autographs from current players I admire or the retired guys I enjoyed watching when I was a young fan. My best autograph experience was seeing Bill Monboquette — a pitcher with the Red Sox during the 1960’s — at the Red Sox Team Store before a game and asking him to sign a baseball. He hefted the ball and started talking about his 1962 no-hitter against the White Sox. What a great memory, adn his signature is picture perfect.

• soxfan1966 - May 21, 2013 at 1:13 PM

I am an older fan, but I still enjoy getting autographs from current players I admire or the retired guys I enjoyed watching when I was a young fan. My best autograph experience was seeing Bill Monboquette — a pitcher with the Red Sox during the 1960’s — at the Red Sox Team Store before a game and asking him to sign a baseball. He hefted the ball and started talking about his 1962 no-hitter against the White Sox. What a great memory, and his signature is picture perfect.

5. mybrunoblog - May 21, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Andre Dawson’s signature is ornate but nobody signed a more clear, legible and beautiful autograph than Mickey Mantle. Nobody.

6. Marty McKee - May 21, 2013 at 11:44 AM

I love Pete Rose’s with the large round P and R.

7. collettegazette - May 21, 2013 at 11:44 AM

what’s the going rate for a Morneau autograph these days? Like $5

8. tfbuckfutter - May 21, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Whitey Herzog has a nice signature.

I once stumbled upon a team signed baseball in an attic of an abandoned house that was being renovated and only knew it was a keeper because Whitey’s signature was on the sweet spot and legible as can be.

9. jb8588 - May 21, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Though I agree that quite a few of the autograph seekers are shady looking guys, I disagree completely when it comes to the narrow-minded thought that they’re all out there to sell. I semi-regularly go out for autographs for mainly baseball/hockey players, and I don’t sell my items. I have a good job, and it’s something I like to do in my spare time to build up my collection. I know quite a few other people as well who are on the same boat, so to say that everybody autograph seeker is only looking to sell is total ignorance.

10. professormaddog31 - May 21, 2013 at 12:08 PM

It’s the creepy people who ruin it for everyone. I have only one autograph of a famous person, a NASCAR driver, and every time I look at it I remember that day, what a nice dude he was, how he took time out of his day to make a fan (me) happy. I readily admit I am a sentimental person, for what it’s worth.

No amount of money could be offered to me to sell any autographs I would get.

11. 18thstreet - May 21, 2013 at 1:39 PM

For what I understand, one of the reasons Cal Ripken signed so many autographs was to flood the market and make his signature worthless to the professional collectors.

• largebill - May 21, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Makes sense as value is always based on scarcity. Using that logic, Brandon Phillips autograph also has no value. Dude, takes time prior to every game to sign for kids. Funny story. Several years ago I took the kids down to GAB my son takes a brand new ball from my coaching bag while my daughter grabbed one from my bucket of balls for hitting grounders. She got Phillips’ sig on the old raggedy ball. Boy (3 years younger) got nothing on the brand new ball. She knows very little about baseball, but Phillips will always be her favorite player.

12. raybrower - May 21, 2013 at 5:33 PM

I got Kirby Puckett’s autograph on my ticket stub before a game in 1990 when I was 13. The problem was that before Kirby came by I got Johnny Moses to sign the same ticket. So I have a framed ticket stub in my house with Kirby’s autograph written kind of on top of Johnny Fucking Moses autograph. I hate him and his stupid mustache. (To be fair, I was pretty excited about at least getting his autograph until Kirby signed. Now he is my sworn enemy.)

Orioles turn AL East on its head