May 21, 2013, 10:30 AM EST
This is a short article in the Pioneer Press, but two nuggets from it:
- Justin Morneau is pretty ambivalent about autographs because he knows most of the people trying to get them are memorabilia guys who are going to turn around and sell it; and
- His autographs are very legible because Harmon Killebrew told him he needed to write his name clearly when he signs.
To sum up: Harmon Killebrew > baseball memorabilia guys. As if you expected anything else.
That aside, I’m totally with Morneau here. Every time I see an autograph scrum I see a handful of kids who legitimately want an autograph from a player they root for and admire and a bunch of seedy-looking dudes with bad sunglasses and gross mustaches, carrying briefcases full of cards and pictures which you know they’re going to sell later. Just kinda sad.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)