May 21, 2013, 11:12 PM EDT
FOX Sports’ Jon Morosi reports that the Orioles will call up top pitching prospect Kevin Gausman to start Thursday in their series opener versus the Blue Jays.
Orioles executive vice president Dan Duquette told MLB.com just one week ago that the 22-year-old right-hander was “doing fine at Double-A” and not close to a promotion, but the O’s have lost seven of their last nine games and are desperate to get back into the hunt in the American League East.
Gausman ranked 26th on Baseball America‘s listing of the Top 100 prospects this past offseason and is sporting a 3.11 ERA, 1.06 WHIP and 49/5 K/BB ratio in 46 1/3 innings this year at Double-A Bowie.
Gausman was the fourth overall pick in the 2012 June MLB Amateur Draft out of LSU and signed with the Orioles in July for a bonus of $4.32 million. If he pitches well, he will presumably be up for good.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 1
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 15
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 44
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 22
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)