MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird.

May 21, 2013, 1:30 PM EST

Yankees Camo uniforms

Paul Lukas of UniWatch figured out that MLB is putting all teams in uniforms with camouflage design highlights on Memorial Day. He figured it out because the team store for each team has the jerseys on sale, with the note “as worn on-field, Memorial Day, May 27, 2013.”

I’m informed by an MLB source that the league “isn’t making a dime” on these jerseys. And that proceeds are going to the Welcome Back Veterans charity. Which is admirable.

But even with proceeds going to charity, there are some who believe that the idea of having players in camo on Memorial Day is a misguided one. Lukas feels that way. As does Dave Brown from Big League Stew. You should go read their pieces in full for their position, but the upshot is that Memorial Day is not a day to honor the military as a whole. It’s to honor those who died while serving. Brown:

It’s just disturbing how many people don’t know what Memorial Day is for, and that they’ll just mindlessly go along with anything that sounds remotely patriotic. Memorial Day has become a synonym for anything at all to do with ” ‘Merica,” and it’s a disgrace.

While Major League Baseball is not choosing to do one thing over another – I’m told that in addition to the jerseyes the league will do more appropriate Memorial Day things such as honoring a moment of silence for fallen veterans — Brown’s argument resonantes pretty strongly with me. We as a country are suffering from no shortage of patriotism and open embrace of our armed forces these days. It would be nice if we spent a little more time reflecting on the implications of war and, at least on Memorial Day, spending a little less time reveling in the broader trappings of the armed forces and patriotism.

source:

But hey: free beach towel.

119 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. El Bravo - May 21, 2013 at 1:35 PM

They should play taps over PA during stretch instead of Take Me Out to the Ballgame and/or God Bless ‘Merica.

• Sideline Mob - May 21, 2013 at 1:44 PM

You might as well put the Marlins and Astros in camouflage, no one’s watching them anyway.

• paperlions - May 21, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Yeah, “baseball camo”, with grass and infield dirt as the primary colors and some white lines and geometric shapes for highlights.

• randygnyc - May 21, 2013 at 3:33 PM

‘Merica or Murica are often used slurs used against our great country. These slurs are often repeated by anti-American liberal democrats and Islamic terrorists. The anti-nationalism that has infected this country began in earnest in November, 2007.

• historiophiliac - May 21, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Don’t be ridiculous.

• bigmeechy74 - May 21, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Shut up with the “anti-america” liberal crap. That’s so insulting and stupid to insinuate that just because someone is left-leaning that they can’t be patriotic.

• 18thstreet - May 21, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Agree and disagree. I’ll start with agree: I think the word implies a ‘this is the worst of our great country.” I’m not sure that I’d call it a slur, but it’s in that direction. I also think it’s a shot against southerner or rural Americans or, just blandly, anyone who doesn’t live in big cities and their suburbs. Since dissent is patriotic, and even our founding document says that we seek a more perfect union (an acknowledgement that we’ll never achieve it), I wouldn’t consider it a slur.

As to “disagree.”
        (a) I’m not sure what happened in November 2007 that began this movement in your mind; and
        (b) grouping liberal and terrorists is most definitely a slur.

• El Bravo - May 21, 2013 at 4:25 PM

randygnyc, with all due respect, of which I have none for you, go bugger yourself you nitwit.

• koufaxmitzvah - May 21, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Randy’s just flying out of that cuckoo’s nest, people.

Fly, Randy, and be free! Flap those wings, little fella!

Ka-kaw! Ka-kaw!

(Okay, that’s from the chicken dance. Can you blame me, though? Arrested Development is coming back!)

• nothanksimdriving123 - May 21, 2013 at 3:44 PM

And when taps ends, there should be a full minute of silence, not the 10-20 seconds we usually do for a “moment” of silence, but a full minute like they do in places such as Canada and the UK. I suspect it would drive most over-caffeinated Americans completely nuts to try it, but think how powerful a full minute of quiet contemplation over the hundreds of thousands of Americans lost in our wars would be.

• stlouis1baseball - May 21, 2013 at 3:49 PM

I agree. One FULL minute.

• datcrazybok - May 22, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Yeah, and the word “can’t” is disrespectful to the missing “N” and “O”.

2. skids003 - May 21, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Nothing wrong with it, it honors those we should be honoring.

• Old Gator - May 21, 2013 at 2:34 PM

I agree. It’s true that the holiday honors those who have died in service, but they didn’t die just to die – they died for something, and honoring and helping those who served beside them, took the same risks upon themselves and survived – many injured and disabled – strikes me as a perfectly fine and consistent thing to do on their holiday.

• blacksables - May 21, 2013 at 2:52 PM

I have mixed feeling about this. I kind of agree with Craig, but as a veteran (since Veteran’s Day) is in the off-season, I guess no harm, no foul.

• blacksables - May 21, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Better yet, why doesn’t MLB actually do something to honor those ballplayers who have died while serving their country.

MLB has no official memorials to any player who died while in the military.

Eddie Grant and hundreds other deserve better from the powers that be.

• stlouis1baseball - May 21, 2013 at 4:12 PM

That national service requirement is a wonderful idea Gator.
        It’s even better!

Age 18 – Minimum (1) year of National Service of some kind.

Ages 19 & 20 – Minimum of (2) years of Military Service.

The National service requirement gives them an additional year to figure things out. All while gaining some humility, discipline and confidence. They go on to the Military with a head start. I think we may have just single handedly solved all of our problems.

• randygnyc - May 21, 2013 at 3:42 PM

14 thumbs down? And you have the right to express it because of America’s military history. And by exercising that freedom, your “thank you” was implied.

• skids003 - May 21, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Thanks randygnyc, hard to believe anyone could not want to honor our military.

• historiophiliac - May 21, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Negative. You have the right to express it b/c this website allows it. The military has zero to do with your ability to post on the internet/HBT. Now, if you want to argue something about our government censoring the internets, then it’s the Constitution that gives you the right to say what you want. Again, the military is not involved in enforcing that entitlement.

• blacksables - May 21, 2013 at 3:57 PM

The military might not enforce the right, but it damn sure protects it.

• 18thstreet - May 21, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Those of us who are lukewarm to this particular idea believe there are better ways to honor the military — that we highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain, and that they deserve more, not less, than a fashion statement. To me, wrapping professional athletes in military fashions belittles their sacrifice. You feel otherwise.

And because this is a great country, there’s room for us all. But our disagreement does not automatically mean that one of us is right and the other is wrong. It just means we disagree.

• historiophiliac - May 21, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Cite me an example of a time the military aided your right to free speech, sables.

• skids003 - May 21, 2013 at 4:38 PM

histrio, without the military to protect all these rights, you wouldn’t have them, it’s that simple.

• blacksables - May 21, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Well, I lived in several countries where I’ve seen people snatched off the street by the military for daring speak their opinion.

That’s never happened to me in the states, so I guess my constitutional right to freedom of speech has been protected.

Can’t believe this is really an issue for you.

• historiophiliac - May 21, 2013 at 5:30 PM

That is not true, skids. People in other countries have rights as well — even some without our military.

• historiophiliac - May 21, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Keep trying, sables.

• bolweevils2 - May 21, 2013 at 4:00 PM

OK, if that’s the way you want it. Then can Veteran’s Day, if you want Memorial Day to be Veteran’s Day. No need for two Veteran’s days

3. rgledz - May 21, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Sconi’s will love these! How many camo Brewers hats will sell. I bet they lead the way!

4. icanspeel - May 21, 2013 at 1:43 PM

If they want to honor the military they should take a note from the Padres. Every Sunday home game they wear camo uniforms and honor a different faction of the military including spouses.

• paperlions - May 21, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Don’t the Padres also give free tickets to military personnel?

• blacksables - May 21, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Royals do also. 4 tickets for any service member. I should up with seven day, and offered to pay for the extra three, and they said not to bother and just handed me the tickets. Upper deck, but still decent seats.

Most teams near a military post will do so.

5. ramblingalb - May 21, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Weird? How is it weird to honor our fallen military heroes than to wear camo uniforms and to thank them for their service.

As for what Memorial Day stands for, needless to say, I know of no one who would begrudge that we also take a moment to say thank you to those who served and did not perish as we pause to honor the dead.

Thank goodness we have MLB doing the right thing as we’re left to read whether it’s the right day to honor the military or not.

• Craig Calcaterra - May 21, 2013 at 1:53 PM

I begrudge it. We have no shortage of honoring those who serve. Memorial Day always has been about the dead. And I believe it makes a difference to have a day specifically for the dead. For when we honor the living we are often able to delude ourselves that the dead, in large numbers, aren’t a very big and very real part of war. The day is about memorializing. Not honoring, as we have come to know that term. And certainly not a day for dress-up.

• stlouis1baseball - May 21, 2013 at 2:19 PM

C.C.: As a veteran myself…I have zero issues with it.
        I will add that (upon seeing the title of this article) I immediately knew you wrote it.
        Sure enough…I opened the link…and guess who?

• skids003 - May 21, 2013 at 2:22 PM

stlouis, I’d like to thank you for your service.

• Old Gator - May 21, 2013 at 2:35 PM

As would I.

• Craig Calcaterra - May 21, 2013 at 2:36 PM

See, St. Louis, this is what I’m talking about. You are a veteran. And that’s great. You are not a dead veteran, thankfully, so with all due respect, this day is not about you and thus your approval of it is beside the point.

• stlouis1baseball - May 21, 2013 at 2:41 PM

But that’s just it C.C. it isn’t about either one of us. It’s about the fallen. Those who gave their lives. Who are you (hell…anyone for that matter) to say they can’t honor them by wearing camo’s? To me…this argument screams weak sauce.

• Old Gator - May 21, 2013 at 2:44 PM

I think we have an atrocious shortage of honoring those who have served. Holidays are fine, but when I see the injured or disabled veterans who are out of work and begging for pennies and breadcrumbs at intersections and under the overpasses the all-American notion of “honoring by barbecue” strikes me as inadequate in the extreme. Whereas I can see how some would find camouflage uniforms on MLB players a bit facetious, I think it’s more important that MLB is honoring the fallen proactively instead of sitting around with a beer on an orf-day and thinking nice thoughts about segregating gratitude for the slain from gratitude for the survivors until the survivors have “their day.” The dead, whatever their merits and whatever honors they deserve, aren’t hurt, traumatized, hungry and disoriented. The distinction between the living and the dead may be legitimate up to a point, but the fact is that the dead don’t care. The holiday is, after all, for the living, isn’t it? Past a certain point, the distinction between our living and dead heroes becomes facile – and that point is reached when we use such distinctions merely to pay either of them lip service and do less than we ought to be doing to thank our heroes in a more concrete way.

• heyblueyoustink - May 21, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Thank you for your service St. Louis, and weak sauce is now going to become a standard in my vocab.

• skids003 - May 21, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Craig I disagree. This day is about all the men and women, fallen or not, who have placed their lives in jeopardy as a member of the military. Without them all, we wouldn’t be honoring any of them. I agree with Old Gator, we can never honor these people enough. And they are donating it all to a great cause.

• raysfan1 - May 21, 2013 at 2:17 PM

I’m a vet, having spent 26 years in the Air Force. I’m from a military family as well. I think Mr Brown over-sells it, but he’s right. Memorial Day is not about me, or anyone else in my family except my uncle who died in WW II. Memorial Day is for remembering and honoring those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our country.

There is another holiday to celebrate the rest of us in the military–that’s Veteran’s Day. While I appreciate the support every time I hear “Thank you for your service,” on Memorial Day please give your thoughts and thanks to people like my uncle and not to me. They are the real heroes and deserve the honors more than I ever could.

• stlouis1baseball - May 21, 2013 at 2:22 PM

raysfan: You are entitled to feel how you want. This veteran has no problems with it.
        It’s the up in arms…”rage” mentality that I have an issue with. There is always something wrong. Something’s “a little weird.” Something is “off kilter.”
        I mean…are we truly bitching about MLB players wearing camo jerseys on Memorial day?
        Think about that for a minute.

• skids003 - May 21, 2013 at 2:24 PM

stlouis, it’s the politically correct group in our society that has brought us to this. Your right, someone is offended at anything anyone does. It has gone beyond ridiculous.

• raysfan1 - May 21, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Stlouis, as I said, Mr Brown oversold his point. I’ve no issue with the wear of camo to honor the fallen either–and you’ll note I never mentioned that in my first note. I do want, however, for everyone to remember who is being honored and remembered on Memorial Day.

• indaburg - May 21, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Nicely said, raysfan1. Thank you for your service, and your uncle for his sacrifice.

• raysfan1 - May 21, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Thank you, Indaburg!

• skids003 - May 21, 2013 at 2:18 PM

rambling, I got a bunch of thombs down too. How can honoring the military get a thumbs down? It tells you where the country has gone. We are folling in the footsteps of the Roman Empire, I wonder how much longer we’ll last.

• historiophiliac - May 21, 2013 at 2:29 PM

LMAO

• heyblueyoustink - May 21, 2013 at 3:07 PM

You’ve been here long enough to know perfectly good reason gets hammered on here from time to time.

Some people just suck, what can you do.

And I think the recent events of parts of the government, in particular executive branch, behaving in more of a fascist fashion coming to light, will start to see pendulum the other way a bit.

It has in the past, and will in the future. No reason to lose hope for the future yet.

• DJ MC - May 21, 2013 at 6:49 PM

I think it’s truly disturbing that you don’t feel that people can oppose your view without declaring it as dishonoring the military. That kind of black-and-white view of the world is the true vision of where this country is headed and why we may be in trouble, not having a differing opinion than yours.

• heyblueyoustink - May 21, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Almost forgot, any opinion other than leftist, even if you’re dead in the middle, gets you nailed every time here.

Even if the polling everywhere shows people are pausing and taking a second look at certain people in power.

Hell, I voted for the guy first time around, I must have been drinking too much then.

• heyblueyoustink - May 21, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Fresh off the press, just in time for Memorial Day. Sad, really, At first blink I gave him a pass on this. The AP thing and the IRS thing, not so much, those are fascist tactics.

This just indicates to me the person running the show has no intention on actually going after them.

• historiophiliac - May 21, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Where you going, blue? Come back. Reel it in. Come back, little blue.

• heyblueyoustink - May 21, 2013 at 9:02 PM

That why I disagree with skids’ Roman empire line, my two narratives run like this:

1) Most anything that is not a liberal point of view on this forum is brought up, the majority response is almost clearly negative. I can live with that, but to deny it’s there, would be disappointing.

Which leads me to

2) There’s nothing wrong with that. And there’s nothing wrong with having a slightly conservative view either. But people in this country, in general, have by in large forgotten how to question their government at all levels because increasingly, people move towards extremes on both ends and then trust the doctrine on either side. Then when the head of the either side are shown to be possibly in the wrong, or not as competent as we thought, or flat out devisive, people still try to give them a pass.

My biggest disappointment with the current pres’ used to be, because he had the charisma to, unite and work down the middle. And he didn’t, he went the total opposite direction.

Now, it’s beginning to appear, that my biggest disappointment would be either his direct in action of or turn a blind to, like I said, the tactics of a fascist regime, almost by definition, in at least two out of three events.

How many were missed, while the press fawned on him.

I know it’s a societal tangent that may not have a place here. But you asked, so there you go. Question your government folks, because politicians will take an inch and turn it into a mile.

• historiophiliac - May 21, 2013 at 9:48 PM

I still have no idea how you got there, but it must be good scotch, blue. ;)

• heyblueyoustink - May 21, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Meh… Tell you what, when the right post comes along, I’ll do a little social experiment, to show you where lack of critical thinking is a problem right now.

I get better on scotch by the by, slows the ole brain down just enough ;-)

• historiophiliac - May 21, 2013 at 10:13 PM

FYI, I think I am very critical of our government and I think I take some crap on here for that too.

• heyblueyoustink - May 21, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Of course you are, totally surprising for a Tigers fan. ;-)

6. mybrunoblog - May 21, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Paul Lukas at uni-watch.com is soooo right about this. Memorial days is to honor fallen members of our military. How does wearing camo honor some selfless man who made the ultimate sacrifice? Answer: it doesn’t. MLB is pandering. Very sad.
    I like Lukas’ suggestion. Wear black armbands on memorial day not Jr GI Joe outfits.

7. Stiller43 - May 21, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Im with ramblingalb.

Did the fallen not wear camo when they died? Were they not in the military? How is it “weird” to honor (or memorialize them, Craig) them by honoring former (because theyre dead) military personell by wearing unis to replicate a military uni?

Even if the cause isnt 100% dead on with what your interpretation is of memorial day, i don’t think they’re that far off. Add im the fact that all the proceeds go to military charity, and MLB is doing exactly the right thing here. I dont often think that is the case, but kudos to them here.

8. jwbiii - May 21, 2013 at 2:12 PM

This is the oddest of the bunch: The Blue Jays are honoring the USMC.

• proudlycanadian - May 21, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Kind of weird isn’t it. We do not celebrate Memorial Day and have very different holidays than the US. Why doesn’t MLB insist that every team wear special uniforms for Canada Day and Victoria Day?

• stlouis1baseball - May 21, 2013 at 3:15 PM

It’s also one of the many reasons I love you people “up north” PC.
        Despite the “odd” ways in which you speak and spell.

• indaburg - May 21, 2013 at 6:45 PM

What sort of uniform would you recommend for Victoria Day?

• proudlycanadian - May 21, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Certainly not like Queen Victoria; however, having everyone wearing the formal RCMP felt hats would be a hoot.

• indaburg - May 21, 2013 at 7:15 PM

I’m game. Let’s write some strongly worded letters to Bud Selig.

• proudlycanadian - May 21, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Are you sure that Bud can read?

• proudlycanadian - May 21, 2013 at 7:48 PM

By the way, I just want to remind you that I said that your team had a very good chance to beat Ortiz tonight,

• indaburg - May 21, 2013 at 8:06 PM

So far, your prediction is looking good. I’m watching. I hope Cobb can keep pitching well, and the defense keeps up the great work.

• jwbiii - May 21, 2013 at 8:05 PM

I’d be in favor of the Blue Jays skipping US holidays and doing something for Canadian holidays which are at more or less the same time, Victoria Day and Canada Day.

9. ramblingalb - May 21, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Craig seems to be saying he thinks we honor those who defend our nation too much, to which, I think he’s sad. We can never thank our military enough. If one wants to only use Memorial Day to honor the fallen, while ignoring the wounded and others who defended the USA, no problem. I choose to thank all vets, though I admit, I do so at most every opportunity. Let’s be honest, most people celebrate the three day weekend and the unofficial start of summer, without nary a mention of what the holiday is about.

I also think it’s great the Padres do this every Sunday. Always a special feeling when the Brewers play them, especially as they often talk to Marines and other military members from Wisconsin who are stationed in the area and at the game.

• skids003 - May 21, 2013 at 2:26 PM

I agree. If it wasn’t for these brave people, we wouldn’t have the freedoms we enjoy today. Probably be speaking German, Japanese, Russian, or something.

• eightyraw - May 21, 2013 at 2:36 PM

I forgot about those times that Germany and Russia invaded the United States.

• skids003 - May 21, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Without people willing to serve our country, they would have invaded, nitwit.

• historiophiliac - May 21, 2013 at 3:34 PM

skids, you are leaving facts and historical accuracy far behind now.

• skids003 - May 21, 2013 at 3:44 PM

histrio, without a strong military, what would have stopped this from happening? Just saying.

• historiophiliac - May 21, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Give me an example of a threat to our national borders. There have been a few, but I’m willing to bet they are not what you are referring to.

• Kevin S. - May 21, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Besides the Atlantic Ocean?

• historiophiliac - May 21, 2013 at 4:20 PM

When did the Atlantic Ocean attack us? You think the military is going to stop a hurricane?

• eightyraw - May 21, 2013 at 2:35 PM

That is not what Craig is saying. There is a national holiday designated specifically for showing appreciation for all veterans. No, Veterans Day does not fall during the MLB season, but Memorial Day is meant to honor our fallen soldiers. He, Paul Lukas, and Dave Brown all argue against MLB co-opting Memorial Day to celebrate all armed forces personnel. These three authors warn against forgetting the meaning of the day, when we should reflect on the terrible consequences that accompany armed conflict.

• historiophiliac - May 21, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Also, Armed Forces Day was last week. Why didn’t they do a separate thing that day for all of MLB?

• DJ MC - May 21, 2013 at 7:01 PM

You are absolutely correct that we can never thank our military enough. However, those thanks should be done individually and on our own terms as much as possible, and not be made, officially or not, a requirement for anything.

It doesn’t help that doing this does nothing to solve the biggest problem, which is what you mention: most people don’t know (or frankly don’t care) about the meaning of the weekend. Having baseball players play dress-up in camo doesn’t do anything except get the fans who think it “looks cool” to buy the gear*. Wearing black armbands, holding actual moments of silence to remember deceased local veterans, maybe actually not playing that day: all of those are actual methods of honoring those who fought and died for the freedom we have. This just comes off as more faux patriotism in the face of actually honoring the people who deserve it.

MLB can say what it wants, but I don’t believe for a second that they are making nothing on this. They would be better off not selling the uniforms at all if they wanted to make them an honoring gesture.

10. rohlo - May 21, 2013 at 2:14 PM

the PADRES have been doing this for years every home sunday game in honoring different parts of the military and fallen soldiers..MLB is just trying to ride on the padres trend as they know the padres camo jerseys are big sellers and for other teams it will generate money..i know in the add it says they arent making a dime… im calling BS because those jerseys are in demand not just on memorial day they will be hot items afterwards too! the padres have worn different variations over the years! as this becomes trendy now,just remember the originl team to do this that has been honoring current and fallen soldiers for a long time now in the san diego military community. san diego is a military town and home of the largest naval base in the world and many marines and the home of the navy seals! also home of rosecrans national cemetary at the top of point loma that overlooks the ocean and san diego bay where 1000’s of fallens soldiers are resting in peace!

11. electstat - May 21, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Really could have used a proofreader Craig…

12. pepelestat - May 21, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Did the people who have fallen wear some sort of military uniform when they did make the ultimate sacrifice? Should MLB don teams with the Navy “all whites” or how about the Army Class A? No….Wearing camo is a way to pay tribute to those who have fallen.

13. stlouis1baseball - May 21, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Thanks for the support people. I appreciate it.
    But really…thanks isn’t needed. I mean that sincerely.
    I just feel (felt)…it was something that I needed to do. And at the risk of getting hammered by my liberal HBT friends…I feel it’s something that should be required of every able bodied/minded American from the ages of (18 – 20). But that topic is for another day.

• historiophiliac - May 21, 2013 at 3:29 PM

If you mean service of some kind, I agree with you wholeheartedly.

• stlouis1baseball - May 21, 2013 at 3:33 PM

That’s precisely what I mean. Yeah…I know. I am a Man of many differing viewpoints.
        Some would say contradictions.

• historiophiliac - May 21, 2013 at 3:34 PM

How so?

• stlouis1baseball - May 21, 2013 at 3:39 PM

I really can’t be pigeonholed. I vote the conservative ticket. Have since Clinton left office. But I am not far right. I have a few left leaning principles. More of a moderate conservative. There are those that think there isn’t such a thing. Aces and I had a nice conversation a couple of weeks ago about this very thing. We both learned some things.

• historiophiliac - May 21, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Ok, I guess I didn’t see that as a conservative or liberal thing.

• stlouis1baseball - May 21, 2013 at 4:16 PM

That’s a great question Philiac. I think they should. I am really just talking about the Camo jersey’s. I mean…really? We are gonna argue about Camo jersey’s?

Qualification: Personally, I think they are hideous. The only Camo I like is my coverall-alls when I go deer hunting. But to each his own. If you want to put on a hideous looking Justin Verlander Tigers Camo jersey it’s on you.

• historiophiliac - May 21, 2013 at 4:22 PM

I just hate the whole thing but I’m not going to blast you with all that. You’re welcome. :)

• stlouis1baseball - May 21, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Blast me baby!

• historiophiliac - May 21, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Well, probably like most people, I have vets in my family — some of whom were jerks before they put the uniform on and some who were good people. The jerks didn’t become less jerky when they changed clothes, and I’m not inclined to “honor” them then. (And I won’t even get into the sexual assault thing in the military — but women who serve deserve special recognition in light of.) The classy ones like my BIL will say that they think their families’ sacrifices were just as great and that they don’t think their service is any more important than those who serve in non-military ways. I agree with that. I abhor how our society prefers military service over any other kind, and that’s our nationalistic thinking at work. I won’t celebrate that. I find these public celebrations meaningless posturing. I’ve had students who were in the military that I’ve talked to who said that people thank them for service but don’t give a crap about them otherwise. I’m the opposite. I probably wouldn’t ever thank you for your service, but I would help you find a job or be an ear to listen privately or whatever. When all of our returning vets are employed and they’ve all had their medical/psych needs met, then I would worry about celebrations. Camo unis don’t mean crap — that’s just hollow pandering. What means something is 1) providing for our vets (which we have never done well) and 2) being a country that makes their sacrifices worthwhile (which does not include running roughshod over other countries for the benefit of our corporations).

• stlouis1baseball - May 21, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Thanks for the blasting. Although that isn’t what I had in mind.
        Great response actually. No disrespect…but I really didn’t think you (anyone) could come up with a decent argument. Well done.

• Kevin S. - May 21, 2013 at 3:38 PM

I do feel service would be very good for many people that age. I’m positive it would have been good for me. The only issue I have with requiring it is that our services being an all-volunteer force is something to be proud of, and mandatory service, at a time which it isn’t necessary for the security of the country, diminishes it to a degree.

• stlouis1baseball - May 21, 2013 at 3:43 PM

This right here…

“The only issue I have with requiring it is that our services being an all-volunteer force is something to be proud of, and mandatory service, at a time which it isn’t necessary for the security of the country, diminishes it to a degree.”

I agree with you.

I also feel most 18 year olds have no idea what the hell they want to do. I mean…most don’t start even having an idea until they are in their late 20’s. You serve for a minimum of two years. Take several aptitude tests along the way…and that is the path you take.
        I know I have never been more confident…more squared away…than when I finished my Military service. You simply could not shake me. The confidence…the discipline…wow.
        We have a Country full of 18 year olds who would be well served to go this route.

• Old Gator - May 21, 2013 at 4:05 PM

StLouis, I’ll go you one better. I think that every able bodied man and woman should serve a minimum of one year in national service of some kind – which could include Peace Corps or educational work, in order to qualify to vote in the first place. I suspect folks would take voting more seriously if it were more of a privilege than an automatic entitlement, simply because it was something that they actually had to earn. Those who are disabled in some way should be permitted to circumvent the requirement, but that’s it.

14. scatterbrian - May 21, 2013 at 3:35 PM

“He figured it out because the team store for each team has the jerseys on sale, with the note ‘as worn on-field, Memorial Day, May 27, 2013.'”

A modern day Columbo.

15. bigmeechy74 - May 21, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Wouldn’t the camo idea make more sense on veteran’s day? And a quick question: My dad is dead and he served in vietnam. But those are 2 separate things since he didn’t die in the war. So on memorial day he is paid his respects because he is dead, whether he was in the military or not, right? So in other words, the camouflage makes no sense… Or am i missing something?

• stlouis1baseball - May 21, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Veterans day is on the offseason (but I appreciate where you are point). Memorial day is technically for those who gave the ultimate sacrifice. So while I fully understand where some are coming from…I also don’t think anyone has the right to tell MLB how the hell they should be celebrating it. Those fallen soldiers died in combat (WITH THEIR CAMO’S ON). That’s good enough for me.
      On a side note: If you take off all your clothes…paint the American Flag on your chest and streak through your neighborhood that is ALSO good with me. Cause’ again…how you celebrate it is YOUR business. Not mine…Calcaterra’s….or anyone else’s.

• bigmeechy74 - May 21, 2013 at 4:04 PM

But that isn’t my point. I was asking isn’t memorial day for all people that died, whether in the military or not? Or am i wrong? I guess I could just look it up lol

• historiophiliac - May 21, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Well, then why don’t they include vets in an Armed Services Day celebration separate from Memorial Day, which was intended to recognize those who died in service?

• stlouis1baseball - May 21, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Sorry for the Caps Meech! I mean that. Not making excuses…but this argument is pissing me off. I will try to avoid the CAPS in the future.

16. malbrecht4 - May 21, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Here’s a thought. How about we honor the fallen by not sending anymore soldiers to die for nothing but protecting business interests abroad. Maybe we should actually demand that veterans are taken care of.

And just because MLB says 100% of proceeds go to charity, doesn’t mean they actually do. The one thing you do know for sure is that the Camo gear will be made in China.

• eightyraw - May 21, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Except that both Majestic and New Era pride themselves on American manufacturing/craftsmanship. Don’t let facts get in your way.

• malbrecht4 - May 21, 2013 at 7:38 PM

I won’t let facts get in my way. When I was in school my American history books didn’t. The evening news, the republican party, the democratic party, non of them let facts get in their way.
        Frankly that would be unamurikan.

17. bronxsanman - May 21, 2013 at 6:22 PM

The mets must be in camouflage. They haven’t been found all season.

• thebadguyswon - May 21, 2013 at 10:18 PM

You are so original. Another Yankees fan/moron taking pot shots at the Mets.

18. thomas844 - May 21, 2013 at 7:10 PM

I hate the word “‘Merica” that seems to be used any time someone is trying to be patriotic. There is nothing wrong with patriotism as long as the people know and understand what they are honoring, and many, if not all, patriotic people I come across fully understand what they are honoring.

19. crisisofinfinitephils - May 21, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Of course Paul Lukas hates it. About half the time his blog is a exercise in urban elitist white guilt wallowing. Other than being ugly, the uniforms and gesture are so innocuous that to get this worked up about is just showing how miserable his life must be. Either that or he has such a clear mind that he has the time to wring his hands and clutch his pearls over something so trivial, so stupid.

20. biasedhomer - May 21, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Wouldn’t this be an unfair advantage to batters

21. multiplemiggs - May 21, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Yea people of this generation are pretty damn STUPID! Everyone knows Memorial Day is in honor of those who invaded Germany on Pearl Harbor Day back in the 1920’s! Morons.

22. thebadguyswon - May 21, 2013 at 10:17 PM

It would be nice if maybe we weren’t at war anymore. What’s it been – 11 years now?

23. stercuilus65 - May 24, 2013 at 3:58 AM

More left wing drivel from craig, what a surprise!

24. 6stn - May 28, 2013 at 5:25 AM

Enough with alternate uniforms. Cardinals yesterday looked like the clubhouse guy used too much bleach. Find some other way to honor the fallen. Also, I’m all for honoring Jackie Robinson, but making everyone wear #42 on his “Day” makes the game a little hard to follow.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester